The Student Room Group

Home sickness

Hi, so I have just come back to the UK to continue my studies I am feeling super homesick and cry almost every day. In my head, I am just thinking how will I get through this final 2 and half years of my course knowing how depressing and miserable UKs weather during winter and I come from a country that's almost sunny every day.
Could anyone help me?
Original post by Z.j678
Hi, so I have just come back to the UK to continue my studies I am feeling super homesick and cry almost every day. In my head, I am just thinking how will I get through this final 2 and half years of my course knowing how depressing and miserable UKs weather during winter and I come from a country that's almost sunny every day.
Could anyone help me?

I'm really sorry you're feeling like this. It's totally understandable why you're homesick, I imagine it must be quite a big change.

Are you able to video call your family/friends back home so you can "see" them? It might help you feel like you're not so far away.

In terms of the weather, yes it is a bit cold and soggy but try to turn it around and look at the positives. My absolute favourite things about the colder months are being able to get cosy and appreciating the warmth. Things like fluffy jumpers, cosy socks, different flavours of hot chocolates and scented candles. Going ice skating or going for a walk through the crunchy leaves that have fallen down. Even though it is cold and grey, there is so much beauty and comfort to be found in your surroundings. Heated blankets, feel-good films and Saturday night telly.

You could maybe keep a diary where you write down how you're feeling, what you're thinking, how your day was. And then at the end of each day, write down 3 things that made you happy or that you're grateful for. By making yourself think about the good around you, it will help you gradually gain that positive mindset and think "hey, maybe it isn't so bad" and hopefully you will stop feeling so homesick.

Hope you feel better soon!
Reply 2
Thanks for the support. Just reading ur description of how to deal with the weather gave me a good feeling and a new sense of hope and at least to challenge my self out of my comfort zone and experience something new. I do face time with family has helped me a lot I feel much better now just got bogged down with quarantine but now focusing on my goals to pass uni is keeping my mind busy.
Original post by Z.j678
Could anyone help me?

Any chance you can transfer to a uni back home?
People who manage to overcome homesickness tend to rebalance their lifes and make the one they have at uni the priority and more tolerable instead of torturing themselves about why they arent at home.

Things that can make it better.

Friends.
Becoming involved in activities and societies.
Getting good marks and being in control of studies.
Looking after yourself in food , sleep and relaxation.
Physical exercise.
Getting a friend to come and stay.
Have a series of activities that cheer you up from reading good books, music, games, decent feel good tv.
Hanging out with expats.
Reminding yourself why you are studying and your life after graduation.
Seeking some uni counselling.
Checking whether you get sad syndrome.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Any chance you can transfer to a uni back home?
People who manage to overcome homesickness tend to rebalance their lifes and make the one they have at uni the priority and more tolerable instead of torturing themselves about why they arent at home.

Things that can make it better.

Friends.
Becoming involved in activities and societies.
Getting good marks and being in control of studies.
Looking after yourself in food , sleep and relaxation.
Physical exercise.
Getting a friend to come and stay.
Have a series of activities that cheer you up from reading good books, music, games, decent feel good tv.
Hanging out with expats.
Reminding yourself why you are studying and your life after graduation.
Seeking some uni counselling.
Checking whether you get sad syndrome.

Well,no good unis in my home country but managed to get a grip on myself now got over the homesickness did some uni counseling, and just seeing how much my parents sacrificed for me to study in the UK has played a vital role to get me back on line.
Original post by Z.j678
Well,no good unis in my home country but managed to get a grip on myself now got over the homesickness did some uni counseling, and just seeing how much my parents sacrificed for me to study in the UK has played a vital role to get me back on line.

get a job save the money and book yourself a sunny holiday in the winter cv19 allowing. Spain, Greece, Turkey, Morocco, Africa.
Reply 6
get a job save the money and book yourself a sunny holiday in the winter cv19 allowing. Spain, Greece, Turkey, Morocco, Africa.

You won't believe I am from African Kenya, Mombasa to be specific so yea got my self a part-time job I am saving up to go during the wintertime, I am just new to this leaving alone thing we are a big family so I never felt this alone but have to get used to it,
Original post by Z.j678
You won't believe I am from African Kenya, Mombasa to be specific so yea got my self a part-time job I am saving up to go during the wintertime, I am just new to this leaving alone thing we are a big family so I never felt this alone but have to get used to it,

The way successful students deal with it is to stop focusing on home and make home where you are now, then things arent as bad and you might actually enjoy yourself. Turkey, Greece, Spain, Egypt are all cheap destinations over the winter.
Reply 8
The way successful students deal with it is to stop focusing on home and make home where you are now, then things arent as bad and you might actually enjoy yourself. Turkey, Greece, Spain, Egypt are all cheap destinations over the winter.

Well almost 6 months on I took your advice got like 3 jobs Asda Sainsbury and one local shop I can say ur advice was super helpful I have never been happier than this will be going to Spain in the summer if all goes well and we are allowed to travel.

Quick Reply

Latest