The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Meeting people as a non-drinker?

So I've been at my intercollegiate accommodation for about 5 days now, and most nights I've gone out to bars with drinkers and hated every second of it. I've always had friends who, just like me, don't like going out at night.

I just don't like the way alcohol makes me feel and I feel so claustrophobic in bars. Coming back at midnight also disagrees with me, and I feel unsafe, even though I've always lived in London. I've tried to do the whole 'going to the bars and pubs but just with a non-alcoholic drink' thing, but it just doesn't suit me unless its a late afternoon thing.

I really prefer going and visiting places with people in the day, when I can really get to know them and have a good conversation. Unfortunately, most of the people in my accommodation are relatively nice but aren't interested in it. Can anyone give me any tips on making friends at KCL who are a bit more chilled and into meeting up during the day?
Original post by Anonymous
So I've been at my intercollegiate accommodation for about 5 days now, and most nights I've gone out to bars with drinkers and hated every second of it. I've always had friends who, just like me, don't like going out at night.

I just don't like the way alcohol makes me feel and I feel so claustrophobic in bars. Coming back at midnight also disagrees with me, and I feel unsafe, even though I've always lived in London. I've tried to do the whole 'going to the bars and pubs but just with a non-alcoholic drink' thing, but it just doesn't suit me unless its a late afternoon thing.

I really prefer going and visiting places with people in the day, when I can really get to know them and have a good conversation. Unfortunately, most of the people in my accommodation are relatively nice but aren't interested in it. Can anyone give me any tips on making friends at KCL who are a bit more chilled and into meeting up during the day?

Are there any societies or clubs or events that are a bit more chilled out and fit what you're looking for? Maybe not even organised by the university or the student union, but just in general around your part of London.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Dear anonymous,
I was in the same situation as you when I was at Uni. It's good that you have emphatically stated what your feelings are towards the 'Boozy Bunch' Believe me you will make nice friends who share your feelings, if you stand your ground and don't weaken or give in to the people who prefer to drink.
Remember why you are at Uni, it's not supposed to be about social activities, it's all about getting the best grades possible in your chosen academic field. Put the word out there and watch, you will soon have nice friends knocking down your door. I don't want to take up any more of your time. Good luck,
Dr. Paul D.
Reply 3
Original post by Dr.PaùĺD
Dear anonymous,
I was in the same situation as you when I was at Uni. It's good that you have emphatically stated what your feelings are towards the 'Boozy Bunch' Believe me you will make nice friends who share your feelings, if you stand your ground and don't weaken or give in to the people who prefer to drink.
Remember why you are at Uni, it's not supposed to be about social activities, it's all about getting the best grades possible in your chosen academic field. Put the word out there and watch, you will soon have nice friends knocking down your door. I don't want to take up any more of your time. Good luck,
Dr. Paul D.

Thank you, I´ll keep that in mind and be patient.

Quick Reply

Latest