Hollyh5353
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I just wondered if anyone could tell me how important GCSE’s really are to law firms- I’ve always wanted to go into law but didn’t try hard at GCSE’s and didn’t come out with the best results at all- 7,6,6,5,5,5,4,3,3. My best grades were in English & History, I’m hoping with good a level grades and grades at university it should be okay but just wondered whether anyone knew if firms took them really seriously- thanks!
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They will consider you academic profile as a whole in some circumstances but your A-levels and degree classification will hold a lot more weight in recruitment decisions.
katiegsu5
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do you mind me asking what alevels your studying and what universities you’re thinking of applying to? if your thinking of going in magic circle firms your best bet is at a Russell Group uni!!
katiegsu5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do you mind me asking what alevels your studying and what universities you’re thinking of applying to?
if you have heavy a-level subjects e.g english lit or history, and get A/A*s in them, go to a good uni and get a 2:1 and just overall have a good profile in general i don’t think they’ll mind.
if your thinking of going in magic circle firms they might take a look at your GCSEs but i don’t think they put a lot of emphasis on them!! if you want to go into one of those big firms your best bet is attending a Russell Group uni!!
Hollyh5353
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiegsu5)do you mind me asking what alevels your studying and what universities you’re thinking of applying to? if your thinking of going in magic circle firms your best bet is at a Russell Group uni!!

I’ve already taken my A-levels, I studied Law English and Psychology, I got ABB & A in EPQ. I’m at the University of Leicester but they have good connections with firms
Hollyh5353
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiegsu5)
do you mind me asking what alevels your studying and what universities you’re thinking of applying to?
if you have heavy a-level subjects e.g english lit or history, and get A/A*s in them, go to a good uni and get a 2:1 and just overall have a good profile in general i don’t think they’ll mind.
if your thinking of going in magic circle firms they might take a look at your GCSEs but i don’t think they put a lot of emphasis on them!! if you want to go into one of those big firms your best bet is attending a Russell Group uni!!
I got ABB + A In EPQ at A level, I took Law English and Psychology. I’m currently at the University of Leicester because I heard they still have really good connections with firms, hopefully it all works out but I’m hoping to get good grades in my first year!
katiegsu5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hollyh5353)
I got ABB + A In EPQ at A level, I took Law English and Psychology. I’m currently at the University of Leicester because I heard they still have really good connections with firms, hopefully it all works out but I’m hoping to get good grades in my first year!
that’s great!! i didn’t know Leicester had connections to good firms!! sorry to bother you again but do you mind me asking what universities you applied to and how many offers you got? i have pretty similar GCSEs to you and im not sure if ill even get into law bc my history was a 4 yet my english was my best (7) wishing you the best!! 😊
Hollyh5353
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiegsu5)
that’s great!! i didn’t know Leicester had connections to good firms!! sorry to bother you again but do you mind me asking what universities you applied to and how many offers you got? i have pretty similar GCSEs to you and im not sure if ill even get into law bc my history was a 4 yet my english was my best (7) wishing you the best!! 😊
Yeah I have a really varied mix of Universities and because I went to such a terrible sixth form I had no faith in myself doing well at A level, so I didn’t apply to many Russel group uni’s which I should’ve. I applied to University of Cardiff, Leicester, Aston in Birmingham, Nottingham Trent and Derby as backups. But I got Offers from all the universities, my predictions were ABB and I got unconditionals from Nottingham & Derby, the others required BBB as a conditional
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.31%
I'm not sure (59)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (371)
29.33%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (617)
48.77%

Watched Threads