How many open days? Watch

This discussion is closed.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
When you were deciding which university to go to, how many open days did you go on? Is it true that if you go at the weekend or out of term time, there's no point going? It's just that surely it's a good idea to visit as many unis as possible out of the ones you're interested in, but you can't afford to miss too much school with AS-levels coming up. As you've probably guessed, I'm in Year 12, so we should be nagged by our teachers about UCAS etc pretty soon after we go back...
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I went and saw every University I applied to at some point. I went to a summer school thing at Surrey and on a few visit days/engineering taster days to Newcastle. I also visited Cambridge with my school on an Oxbridge trip, then saw it again when I went for my interview. My other choices - Warwick, Bath and York - I went and visited at open days and I'm really glad I did. I'm pretty sure the Warwick one was out of term time, and I didn't really notice many students at the York one, but it was nice to visit to get a feel for the places anyway. In total, I guess I missed a couple of days of fifth year (year 12) for visiting Newcastle, then about 8 in sixth year (year 13), quite a lot of which was travelling (Bath took 3 days - one to get there, one to look round and one to get back!!!). Didn't find it a problem at all though and my teachers were very understanding.
Overall, I reckon if you can visit your Universities it's a great idea - if you have to go out of term time, fair enough, it's better than nothing. Oh, and incidentally I'm now at Warwick so it can't have been that bad! Hope that helps a bit.
Jenn xx
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Thanks for replying!
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well my school dragged the entire year group around the local universities which i didnt really wanna go to, but other than that i only went to the see the 1 university i wanted to go to... which is the one i'm at now
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by sparkler)
well my school dragged the entire year group around the local universities which i didnt really wanna go to, but other than that i only went to the see the 1 university i wanted to go to... which is the one i'm at now
Isn't it an easy life for some? :p: lol
john williams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We had a whole year trip to Birmingham university, but out of the ones i have applied to (im in yr 13), iv only so far been to see 1 of them, as i didnt think there was much point in going when you dont have a offer yet. Although if your unsure about applying somewhere you probably should go and visit. But you'll get invited if they give you offers, so its just a waste of time and money.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have sent all the open day reply slips back to the unis. I will probably go to all of them. Two of my opendays is during holidays so itz cool.
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I visited Warwick on an open day and it was fantastic so I'm applying there. I also visited Aston and Oxford on normal days and still managed to get a feel for the cities etc, so it's worth doing if its not to far to travel...plus going with mates can be a laugh.

L'boro and Leeds have invited me to open days and I'll definately go to them aswell as any others I get offers from.
Ynox
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I applied to 6 unis and visited 5 out of the 6 (visited warwick twice and southampton 3 times- it was either warwick or southampton that I wanted to go to, but I chose warwick in the end).

Its well worth visiting unis, missing 6 days of term on open days is a hell of a lot better than regretting the next 3+ years of your life.
tash087
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've visited Cambridge quite a lot of times to visit friends who were studying there, but also i went to the open day!

I went to the KCL open day in August- so i didn't have to miss any school.

I love my school but the policy for missing school to go on open days is a bit odd. We're allowed to go to 2 Open Days per term, however we're only allowed to go to 3 Open Days in a year! Go figure how they came up with that one!
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We're only allowed 2 per term as well.
Chris87
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Went to 4 out of 6 I applied to plus I was also made to go to Queen Mary's by my 6th form.
NEWUSERNAME
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
book for open days during the summer holidays, although most are during spring (ie during school time- but missing one or 2 days is ok).

oh actually- there may be some open days AFTER your summer exams, but during the term where you come back to school to start your A2 work (ie just before the summer holidays) - that's quite a good time.

and if youre applying for Oxbridge, (or mediicne, dentistry or vet sci) then you wont have that much time after you come back - so what you wanna do is decide your course by spring/summer and have an idea of unis and then get your AS results and start writing your personal statement.

some unis usually let your have a wander around, unofficially (ie not an open day), the campus etc during holidays - but it is likely to be very quite with no staff or students - only do this if the uni is close and you just want a feel for what the uni/place is like.

also you might actually be invited to go to interview, and they may give you a tour. and they might also have post-offer open days
NEWUSERNAME
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
I went to 2 open days and I decided not to apply to either of those unis!

I also had visited 3 other unis, unofficially.
Krim
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
We're only allowed 2 per term as well.
Cant you just tell them to piss off?
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i only visited one.. once at easter to get a feel for the area, then again at a summer open day.

but then it's the one i ended up at, thankfully! :p:
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
When you were deciding which university to go to, how many open days did you go on? Is it true that if you go at the weekend or out of term time, there's no point going? It's just that surely it's a good idea to visit as many unis as possible out of the ones you're interested in, but you can't afford to miss too much school with AS-levels coming up. As you've probably guessed, I'm in Year 12, so we should be nagged by our teachers about UCAS etc pretty soon after we go back...
I went to 3 open days, and really liked 2 of them, so I put it on my UCAS form.

You can go anytime to attend an open day, so there is a point going. If you don't want to miss school, go on half terms and/or weekends.

There's no need to nag your teachers about UCAS, as they will eventually talk about it near the end of the school year (around May/June).
Chrism
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I visited 2 out of 6, and only after I'd got offers from them. I'd been to another 2 for different reasons before that though.
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I went to 6 universities and applied to 4 of them, and applied to one I didn't visit but never intended going there. Go to as many as possible that you think you may really want to go to, and post offer open days are always good to decide between firm/insurance choice etc.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you don't go to an open day, it's ok. There is always course information on the course website, and pictures of the department, labs, uni, etc...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (516)
80.63%
Leave (124)
19.38%

Watched Threads