What's it like saying goodbye to your childhood home, forever?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I will be going to uni and while I'm there my mum will be moving to her new home. I'm happy for her, but I'm scared about the fact that I will never be able to return home -the place that I have so much history and personal connection with.

We live in a nice area and I'm not terribly fond of my mothers new home. It's basically in the middle of nowhere and I like being near to the buzz of the city. What's more, I'm a bit of a homebody so when I visit, I like to know that I have my own personal bedroom (I use my bedroom as an escape when things get too overwhelming -and it's lovely).

Our current house is so cool, like really cool. All my friends are really like it which means that they always want to hang out at my place which is really nice because I like being the host. I'm going to miss all its little quirks and features, and the good times we've had in there -if you can't tell already I'm kind of a nostalgic person (: .

Finally, it takes me a long time for me to settle into places and have that feeling of 'I'm finally at home now'. It took me many years to have that feeling with our past home. I'm worried that if I don't have that 'I'm settled in feeling', then I won't have a safe personal retreat place which I so need for my mental health. I'll get anxious, restless and feel like I don't belong.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I will be going to uni and while I'm there my mum will be moving to her new home. I'm happy for her, but I'm scared about the fact that I will never be able to return home -the place that I have so much history and personal connection with.

We live in a nice area and I'm not terribly fond of my mothers new home. It's basically in the middle of nowhere and I like being near to the buzz of the city. What's more, I'm a bit of a homebody so when I visit, I like to know that I have my own personal bedroom (I use my bedroom as an escape when things get too overwhelming -and it's lovely).

Our current house is so cool, like really cool. All my friends are really like it which means that they always want to hang out at my place which is really nice because I like being the host. I'm going to miss all its little quirks and features, and the good times we've had in there -if you can't tell already I'm kind of a nostalgic person (: .

Finally, it takes me a long time for me to settle into places and have that feeling of 'I'm finally at home now'. It took me many years to have that feeling with our past home. I'm worried that if I don't have that 'I'm settled in feeling', then I won't have a safe personal retreat place which I so need for my mental health. I'll get anxious, restless and feel like I don't belong.
I moved out of my very first home when I was around 10, and yeah I miss it but it helped that I was so young. So now I consider my current home as more of my childhood home. To most people my advice would be that it will just take time to settle in, you can decorate and make the house how you want it so it seems more homely. However, your concerns seem a bit deeper and related to mental health issues, so I recommend you speak to your GP if it comes to it and you do feel like your MH is declining.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Take pics and video, then store them.
Its strange but its progress.
I get what you mean and I miss all my homes and most of my previous places.
It takes a while but you settle.
SamMaddox201X
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It will feel bittersweet. The new adventure you will be taking going to uni along with all the memories of your childhood will make your emotions and feelings extremely potent. Just remember that you can always make new memories and live in a similar house when you are older. Life is about moving with change. I wish you the best of luck!
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unfortunately from here on out you will just have to adjust to a more transient life style of coming and going. I had to move between 4 houses at university not including moving all my stuff back to my parents house during the summer.
Once you finish uni and find a job you may have to move close to it depending on where it is. You will likely be renting and may want to move again if you decide to start a family. Unfortunately that is just the reality of life, most people rent now and move around all the time as it is hard to get on the housing ladder.
Ive had 3 different houses during my childhood and my parents were planning to sell this one when i left to uni so i had to empty my room and assume like you that i would be staying in a different house in the holidays. In the end they didnt sell it but as my room was no longer available as stuff had been moved into it i had to sleep downstairs on some cushions for ages. Part of uni is just learning to lump it as you will have limited money and it is just character building for resilience.
Try to make your uni room as homely as possible but dont get to attached to it as you need to prepare yourself for moving for second year.
I dont think many people feel truly secure and at home whilst renting, i wont consider myself 'finally at home' i suspect until i buy my own house which could be some time away.
Last edited by CoolCavy; 1 month ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My parents moved from my childhood home when I had just finished my undergraduate degree. They were forced to sell (long story), which made it even worse because it wasn't our choice to leave. We had to move to a different town because we could no longer afford houses in our original location. It was devastating quite frankly, as I'd spent all my life there and had gone to secondary school literally 2 minutes walk away. It really sucks that I'll never get to see it again, as there were so many memories there. I don't particularly feel attached to my parents' current house, because I daren't get attached again.

All I can do is just look forwards - I can't wait to have my own flat/house (whether rented or owned), so that I can feel truly in control of where I live. As a student, you do get used to moving about though, which definitely helps, especially if you'll have to move elsewhere for a job when you graduate.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Strange, sad, but also freeing at the same time.
cherlloydfan1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm moving out of my family home that I've lived in my whole life soon and I'm sad about it cos I don't want to move but I have no say in it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.15%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.27%

Watched Threads