DonTalkToMe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Due to COVID - I only have one lesson each week for each subject. I am taking Sociology, English Literature & Religious Studies.

I missed my first RS lesson due to quarantine (I had to self isolate for 14 days I was unwell. No I don't have corona). First English Lit & Sociology lesson were pretty straightforward. I got a 9 in both my English GCSES so I feel confident I won't be too overwhelmed. Plus I love English. Sociology was enjoyable and fun.

However, I had my first RS lesson and given that I missed my first lesson wasn't too great for me. Other students had missed the lesson too but seemed pretty on board. Me on the other hand I was completely lost. I'm doing the OCR board - I got an 8 in RS. Naively assumed it would be similar as it is not Philosophy. Literally thought I was just going to be learning about religions like GCSE. I genuinely want to smack myself in the face. I tried to catch up at home all day, I've watched over 10 Youtube videos trying to understanding key concepts like Plato's Theory Of Forms, The cave Allegory. Nothing is going through my head. I'm a pretty quick learner and open minded yet I just don't understand RS A level at all. I asked some family members who got an A/A* and they explained the concepts. I still don't understand it. I'm thinking of switching to Politics as that was an option I was going to take for A level but was told it would be 'better' to take RS as I've done a GCSE in it.

I think if I am struggling this early on - it will be harder for me.

I know every A level has its hardships and there is no such thing as an 'easy' A level. I feel super down and frustrated and don't want to leave this decision to the last minute if I DO change to politics.

Anyone had any experience with this? Which did you find more difficult?
Last edited by DonTalkToMe; 1 month ago
Shafxx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DonTalkToMe)
A-levels
Change forum
Forums
GCSE
A-level
Freshers
Applying to uni
University
Careers & jobs
Relationships & health
Student finance
News & entertainment
My TSR Forums Study Help Secondary school, sixth form and FE college A-levels
Which A level should I drop? un-watch
Announcements
start new discussion
Page 1 of 1

DonTalkToMe
Badges: 8
Rep:
6 minutes ago
Due to COVID - I only have one lesson each week for each subject. I am taking Sociology, English Literature & Religious Studies.

I missed my first RS lesson due to quarantine (I had to self isolate for 14 days I was unwell. No I don't have corona). First English Lit & Sociology lesson were pretty straightforward. I got a 9 in both my English GCSES so I feel confident I won't be too overwhelmed. Plus I love English. Sociology was enjoyable and fun.

However, I had my first RS lesson and given that I missed my first lesson wasn't too great for me. Other students had missed the lesson too but seemed pretty on board. Me on the other hand I was completely lost. I'm doing the OCR board - I got an 8 in RS. Naively assumed it would be similar as it is not Philosophy. Literally thought I was just going to be learning about religions like GCSE. I genuinely want to smack myself in the face. I tried to catch up at home all day, I've watched over 10 Youtube videos trying to understanding key concepts like Plato's Theory Of Forms, The cave Allegory. Nothing is going through my head. I'm a pretty quick learner and open minded yet I just don't understand RS A level at all. I asked some family members who got an A/A* and they explained the concepts. I still don't understand it. I'm thinking of switching to Politics as that was an option I was going to take for A level but was told it would be 'better' to take RS as I've done a GCSE in it.

I think if I am struggling this early on - it will be harder for me.

I know every A level has its hardships and there is no such thing as an 'easy' A level. I feel super down and frustrated and don't want to leave this decision to the last minute if I DO change to politics.

Anyone had any experience with this? Which did you find more difficult?
I've not done RS but I did do Politics till AS level last year and if I'm being completely honest it's really fun but you should decide how compatible these subjects are to what you want to do at degree level.I hope that helps
If you're still not sure I'd watch a few youtube videos from UK Parliament just to get some idea of what it's like and look at a past paper. It's mainly essays with which you should be fine.
DonTalkToMe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Shafxx)
I've not done RS but I did do Politics till AS level last year and if I'm being completely honest it's really fun but you should decide how compatible these subjects are to what you want to do at degree level.I hope that helps
If you're still not sure I'd watch a few youtube videos from UK Parliament just to get some idea of what it's like and look at a past paper. It's mainly essays with which you should be fine.
I got a nine in my English GCSE so would that be useful and correlate to Politics? A friend told me its like History, I never did History GCSE but I was not that great at it during class tests. Is it pretty straightforward? As in RS, Philosophy aspect takes a while for me to wrap my head around.
Shafxx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DonTalkToMe)
I got a nine in my English GCSE so would that be useful and correlate to Politics? A friend told me its like History, I never did History GCSE but I was not that great at it during class tests. Is it pretty straightforward? As in RS, Philosophy aspect takes a while for me to wrap my head around.
I didn't take History at gcse but for example you have to learn about Thatcherism ,Neoliberism,Neoconservatism etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.61%
I'm not sure (54)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (345)
29.31%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.97%
I'm not a current university student (571)
48.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed