The Student Room Group

Is there any degrees that combine art with business?

I want to become a creative director and I’m taking Art, Business and RS for ALevel. Advertising is a possible route, as well as art director
Original post by Helloihategsces
I want to become a creative director and I’m taking Art, Business and RS for ALevel. Advertising is a possible route, as well as art director

Digital media, marketing, graphic design are all related subjects you can do to become a creative director.

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Digital media, marketing, graphic design are all related subjects you can do to become a creative director.

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:

Is this a good combo for graphics/advertising career?:
Graphic design, media and btec computer science
OR
Graphic design, photography and btec ict
Original post by 🧡Hajera
OR

I did graphic design and IT

They are definitely very good courses I would recommend

If you are looking at marketing I might suggest adding business to that mix
Original post by Jonathanツ
I did graphic design and IT

They are definitely very good courses I would recommend

If you are looking at marketing I might suggest adding business to that mix

Unfortunately both combos are already worth 4 a levels as they’re double btecs so the only way is to replace media with business? But for the second combo that’s school doesn’t have business a level
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Unfortunately both combos are already worth 4 a levels as they’re double btecs so the only way is to replace media with business? But for the second combo that’s school doesn’t have business a level

I do media production which is pretty similar and I guess it is alright

No matter what you do all those subject have a nice link so you should be good
I do media production which is pretty similar and I guess it is alright

No matter what you do all those subject have a nice link so you should be good

Okay thank u! If I’m not accepted to do equivalent to 4 a levels do u think graphics, media and business will be the best 3 a level combo alternative
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Okay thank u! If I’m not accepted to do equivalent to 4 a levels do u think graphics, media and business will be the best 3 a level combo alternative

I'm only a year 13 myself but they all link very well with graphics/marketing careers
I'm only a year 13 myself but they all link very well with graphics/marketing careers

Thank u 💛
Depends on exactly what you mean by "art and business". If you mean, the business of the arts sector, then something in curating might be a relevant first step, although that won't necessarily require any creative work from yourself. Alternately just any degree (business based or otherwise) then moving into that sector. There might be some specific ones like fashion marketing/merchandising as well for particular sectors. Christie's used to have a masters in Art Business but I think they've retired it now.

Alternately if you mean, using creative arts skills in a professional setting, then that is basically every design based degree; graphic design, games development, illustration, animation, fashion design, product design, architecture, landscape architecture, etc, etc. So there are lots of options in that realm depending on exactly what it is you're interested in.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 🧡Hajera
OR

Hi!

I would personally say the first choice looks like it would be a better fit.
However, I study a completely different subject. It would be worth contacting some universities about what they look for regarding this career path. I'll put Portsmouth contact details below:
Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries - +44 (0)23 9284 4477 [email protected]

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I would personally say the first choice looks like it would be a better fit.
However, I study a completely different subject. It would be worth contacting some universities about what they look for regarding this career path. I'll put Portsmouth contact details below:
Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries - +44 (0)23 9284 4477 [email protected]

I hope this helps!

Tysm! Even tho u study something else...do u think media business and graphics (and maybe ict) is better than the first combo choice?
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Tysm! Even tho u study something else...do u think media business and graphics (and maybe ict) is better than the first combo choice?

I think they're both really good choices and in my opinion, I would choose what you enjoy best.
But, contacting university courses is a really good insight about what would be the best option. Also, they'll be able to give you some specific advice and tips about your career path and the best thing to do when applying to universities to help you with your career.

Quick Reply

Latest