Hassan116
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Every time I go to buy a MacBook Pro it says it’s unavailable to pick up in store across the Uk and delivery will arrive mid October but uni starts next week.

Does anyone know why this is?
Charlie101998
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm getting the same response with the iPad Pro
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I imagine because they've all been bought.

Seriously though, possibly the covid **** up on the supply chains still?
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hassan116)
Every time I go to buy a MacBook Pro it says it’s unavailable to pick up in store across the Uk and delivery will arrive mid October but uni starts next week.

They may be running low on stock of the current models in anticipation of the new generation of "Apple Silicon" based macbooks, as they haven't confirmed whether they will continue to manufacture Intel versions of any models the new versions replace.

Or it could just be Covid f*cking up manufacturing and distribution enough that they can't keep up with demand.
Hassan116
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
I imagine because they've all been bought.

Seriously though, possibly the covid **** up on the supply chains still?
Yhh that’s what I’m thinking
Hassan116
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlie101998)
I'm getting the same response with the iPad Pro
I say you keep checking cause it does change from time to time
snooz4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was in the apple store the other day and they say it’s multiple reasons such as covid, the new silicon device and the student deal. They suggested you check if the device you want is in stock at your local store to pick up everyday (ideally the morning) as they get a new delivery every week but they are not sure what’s in it. This worked for me and i managed to get one pretty quickly
username5177602
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

It's probably because Apple is likely going to announce it's Apple Silicon MacBooks in the coming months, so I can imagine that Apple is either prioritising manufacturing of them, preparing to ditch Intel, having production issues or any combination of the three.

To be honest, if you really want a MacBook you'd be better off waiting for them to come out anyway as Apple is likely to discontinue it's Intel-based Macs once it's done with the transition(possibly in 3-5 years), and while the newer ones will have software compatibility issues, I'd take that over spending ~£1000 on something that will lose support in a few years.
Hassan116
Rep:
?
(Original post by snooz4)
I was in the apple store the other day and they say it’s multiple reasons such as covid, the new silicon device and the student deal. They suggested you check if the device you want is in stock at your local store to pick up everyday (ideally the morning) as they get a new delivery every week but they are not sure what’s in it. This worked for me and i managed to get one pretty quickly
Yhh that’s what I’ve been doing and some days they do have some in stock and others they don’t
Hassan116
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluewolf21)
It's probably because Apple is likely going to announce it's Apple Silicon MacBooks in the coming months, so I can imagine that Apple is either prioritising manufacturing of them, preparing to ditch Intel, having production issues or any combination of the three.

To be honest, if you really want a MacBook you'd be better off waiting for them to come out anyway as Apple is likely to discontinue it's Intel-based Macs once it's done with the transition(possibly in 3-5 years), and while the newer ones will have software compatibility issues, I'd take that over spending ~£1000 on something that will lose support in a few years.
Yhh that’s what I would do but realistically I need a laptop for uni now so can’t really wait for the silicon versions to come out.
username5177602
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yhh that’s what I would do but realistically I need a laptop for uni now so can’t really wait for the silicon versions to come out.
Do you not already have a laptop you could use?
Hassan116
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluewolf21)
Do you not already have a laptop you could use?
No nothing that’s why I need one.
username5177602
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No nothing that’s why I need one.
Fair enough.

The option of getting a Windows Laptop is always there, but if you want a MacBook then that's probably your only option. It's just that with the Apple Silicon transition throwing longevity into question, it's hard to justify buying a MacBook if you really want a Mac and really want something now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.58%
I'm not sure (56)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.33%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.55%

Watched Threads