0216S
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello! I was just seeing some oxford result statistics for the E&M course and applicants seem to have taken a 15 GCSEs. I only took 9 and scored 6A* and 3As. Am I going to be severely disadvantaged for taking only 9?

My subjects were:
Business Studies, Economics, Mathematics, English Language, English Literature, ICT: A*
Accounts, French and Physics: A

For A-Levels I've taken Economics, Mathematics, Business Studies, English Language (AS) and Further Maths (AS). Is this a good combination? Do I have a shot at Oxford for E&M?
Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there.
Taking 9 GCSEs is totally normal, even for Oxbridge. The vast majority of schools will not be doing 15 GCSEs (I've never even heard of someone who takes that many). Most schools make their students take between 8 and 11 GCSEs, so as long as you have at least 8 GCSEs there shouldn't be any disadvantage. Your 9 GCSEs are also good, and having 9 good GCSEs is far better than having 15 mediocre ones.
What I will say is that I really don't think it's necessary to take 5 A-levels. Your offer will likely be based on 3 subjects (although a lot of econ/STEM applicants will have further maths as a 4th A-level so this isn't unusual). With 5 A-levels, however, you run the risk of spreading yourself too thin and not meeting your offer. Having extra A-levels won't put you at an advantage.
I'll also say that it tends to not be looked on too favourably to do both econ and business at A-level, so if you drop an A-level I would suggest business studies.
With that in mind as long as you're on track to meet the offer for E&M, I'd definitely say you've got a shot. This is of course reliant on your performance at admissions test and eventually interview, though.
hw8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mikos)
I'll also say that it tends to not be looked on too favourably to do both econ and business at A-level, so if you drop an A-level I would suggest business studies.
Agreed - they don't like business and econ together.

They do tend to favour an essay based subject though. Unfortunately, English language isn't a facilitating subject. Would you consider swapping it for a more traditional essay-based subject (maybe English lit?)
0216S
Rep:
?
(Original post by hw8)

They do tend to favour an essay based subject though. Unfortunately, English language isn't a facilitating subject. Would you consider swapping it for a more traditional essay-based subject (maybe English lit?)
Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer English literature and only language (Which is compulsory). I kept business just to make sure I wasn't missing out on the management side of things and took the extra subjects to compensate for taking the combination of business and econ together. I am self studying further maths so hopefully that helps.
0216S
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mikos)
Hi there.
Taking 9 GCSEs is totally normal, even for Oxbridge. The vast majority of schools will not be doing 15 GCSEs (I've never even heard of someone who takes that many). Most schools make their students take between 8 and 11 GCSEs, so as long as you have at least 8 GCSEs there shouldn't be any disadvantage. Your 9 GCSEs are also good, and having 9 good GCSEs is far better than having 15 mediocre ones.
What I will say is that I really don't think it's necessary to take 5 A-levels. Your offer will likely be based on 3 subjects (although a lot of econ/STEM applicants will have further maths as a 4th A-level so this isn't unusual). With 5 A-levels, however, you run the risk of spreading yourself too thin and not meeting your offer. Having extra A-levels won't put you at an advantage.
With that in mind as long as you're on track to meet the offer for E&M, I'd definitely say you've got a shot. This is of course reliant on your performance at admissions test and eventually interview, though.
Thank you! That's a massive relief. It's highly likely that I'll get an A* in Econ, Math, Business and A in English (no idea about further math) so hopefully that will be satisfactory. I was going to drop business but I wanted to make sure I don't miss out on anything management related (plus the other option was psychology which is a slight snooze for me). Hopefully the extra subjects compensate for taking business and econ
0216S
Rep:
?
(Original post by hw8)

What if I give English Literature in a separate session along with these subjects? Is that useless?
hw8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 0216S)
What if I give English Literature in a separate session along with these subjects? Is that useless?
Not sure what you mean here - are you proposing to self study English Lit as well?

I would say economics, maths, and further maths are great. I would highly recommend not taking business as well as economics, as it will take be hugely time-consuming and not of a huge amount of benefit.

In my opinion, your time would be better used doing loads of super curricular management stuff (MOOC's, reading, work experience, essay comps, etc). If English language is compulsory then I guess you don't have a choice, but again I would recommend taking an essay based subject instead if possible
0216S
Rep:
?
(Original post by hw8)
Not sure what you mean here - are you proposing to self study English Lit as well?

I would say economics, maths, and further maths are great. I would highly recommend not taking business as well as economics, as it will take be hugely time-consuming and not of a huge amount of benefit.

In my opinion, your time would be better used doing loads of super curricular management stuff (MOOC's, reading, work experience, essay comps, etc). If English language is compulsory then I guess you don't have a choice, but again I would recommend taking an essay based subject instead if possible
I could self study English Lit by myself if that would help.

I'm only giving further maths (AS), will the subject be considered by universities? I'm extremely worried that they'll only consider my 3 full a levels which by itself is a rather weak combination. I can't really drop business anymore but thoroughly enjoy it.
I'm also doing a lot of online courses from top unis (management and economics).
hw8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 0216S)
I could self study English Lit by myself if that would help.

I'm only giving further maths (AS), will the subject be considered by universities? I'm extremely worried that they'll only consider my 3 full a levels which by itself is a rather weak combination. I can't really drop business anymore but thoroughly enjoy it.
I'm also doing a lot of online courses from top unis (management and economics).
Ok understood. When you apply, you can use the UCAS form to explain that it was compulsory for you take to English language to A - level and that is why you couldn't take a more traditional essay based subject.

I can't answer whether they will consider AS further maths - I reckon they would, if not you could put it on your UCAS form anyway.

I would be really careful with ambitions to self teach A - levels. By the time you get to A2, self-teaching a levels alongside doing another 4 at school will be really difficult.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (178)
28.48%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.28%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.16%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.92%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.2%

Watched Threads