ak1129
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is there any people that have gotten into a UK uni that did the Leaving Cert/ came from Ireland that would like to give me any tips. Also since i will be 17 until December of the college year 2021, will i be able to apply for unis that say they dont accept any u18? Would appreciate any help whatsoever
junior.doctor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t know anything about Irish school qualifications, sorry.

If the university’s entry criteria stipulates that you must be 18 at entry, then you wouldn’t be able to start when you are 17, no. I seem to recall that there are some unis who do allow you to start at 17, or who specify a date at some point in the first semester by which you must have turned 18. If you’re really certain you want to start when you’re 17 then it’s worth going through all the universities’ entry requirements carefully to work out which these are. Of course you could also take a gap year and work to save some money for uni and then have a wider choice of unis to apply to when you’ll be 18 at the start.

Would you class as a home student for fees? Remember that if not, fees are changing and EU students will have to pay international fees as I understand things. This might make it even more important for you to work for a year before starting.
Iffyiffy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Many Scottish students (including like half my year) are 17 when starting uni, so worth having a look at the Scottish med schools for requirements. Also Irish students didn’t have to pay tuition under the EU rules, but as above this is likely to change.

There was a few people from ROI in my year, so it is possible but other than that I don’t know any more in depth sorry!
realtimme
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by junior.doctor)

Would you class as a home student for fees? Remember that if not, fees are changing and EU students will have to pay international fees as I understand things. This might make it even more important for you to work for a year before starting.
The government announced that irish students will continue to pay home fees after brexit, as opposed to the rest of the EU.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.39%
I'm not sure (59)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (368)
29.25%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (613)
48.73%

Watched Threads