The Student Room Group

Student account

I set up a student account thinking I was going to need a loan all I really needed was tuition fees which means I don’t need the student account.
I don’t have a credit card Or any other debit cards I only have this student account and was wondering if I was able to put my own money into this account or will I have to create a new debit card to put my own money in it. I saved up some cash thag I wanna put in a card so I can use but I’m unsure on what to do ?
Original post by Anonymous
I set up a student account thinking I was going to need a loan all I really needed was tuition fees which means I don’t need the student account.
I don’t have a credit card Or any other debit cards I only have this student account and was wondering if I was able to put my own money into this account or will I have to create a new debit card to put my own money in it. I saved up some cash thag I wanna put in a card so I can use but I’m unsure on what to do ?

You can put what you like in a student account - note that you are not putting it in a card, the card is just the way to get access to the money. The student label on the account just means you get an interest free overdraft and maybe some freebees
Reply 2
A student account is like any other current bank account. If you have the offer of a credit card take it. You need to build your credit rating for the future. Credit cards are a good tool for this. Put something on the card then pay it off before the due date and you will not be charged interest.
Reply 3
How do you pay a credit card payment back ?
Reply 4
I put ms instead of Miss in my student debit card which will expire in 2022 I was wondering if the titles will that affect me in anyway ?
Reply 5
I have a student account with NatWest who shall I get a credit card with ?
Reply 6
I put ms instead of Miss in my student debit card which will expire in 2022 I was wondering if the titles will that affect me in anyway ?

It doesn't affect anything.

Anyone. Might be easier to get one with NatWest seeing as you're already with them.
Reply 7

Ms instead of Miss doesn't affect you at all.

Anyone you feel like. Might be easier to go with NatWest seeing as you already have an account with them.

How do you pay a credit card payment back ?

You get statements to say how much you owe and how to pay which kind of look like a weird form of bank statement.
Reply 8
Original post by Emily_B
Ms instead of Miss doesn't affect you at all.

Anyone you feel like. Might be easier to go with NatWest seeing as you already have an account with them.

You get statements to say how much you owe and how to pay which kind of look like a weird form of bank statement.

Do I need to work to be able to get a credit card ???
You need an income but that could just be your maintenance loan - it just means that your credit limit would be very low.
Original post by ReadingMum
You need an income but that could just be your maintenance loan - it just means that your credit limit would be very low.

What if you don’t have a maintenance loan then I would need a job?
What if you don’t have a maintenance loan then I would need a job?

You need some form of income- what are you going to be using to pay for your time as a student?
Original post by ReadingMum
You need some form of income- what are you going to be using to pay for your time as a student?

I’m staying at home and SF for tuition fees
I’m so new to all of this it’s so hard to understand
Once I have finished my student debit card what happens ??
Should I create another debit card not a student one just a normal debit card or do I need a job to do that too ?
You seem to be mixing up cards and accounts - it is important to get this right.
You have a student bank account. Once you graduate they usually give you a bit of time to get a job and then they convert your student bank account into a normal bank account which means you start being charged interest on your overdraft. The interest rate will be high so you need to pay off any overdraft before this happens.
Your debit card is just a mechanism for spending the money in your student bank account, or for withdrawing cash from a cash machine.
An income is only a requirement for applying for a credit card which lets you borrow money to buy things - you must have an income otherwise how are you going to pay them back what you borrow.

No. I had one as a student with no job via NatWest with a student account. Whether or not you'll be able to pay it off/keep up with payments without a job is only something you can decide.
Reply 16

Nat West do a student credit card.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending