York, Manchester or Glasgow for English?

Watch
Ciara0720
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone!

I'm in need of a final uni choice - does anyone have any thoughts on those three and rankings, employability etc? I'd like to study English!

Thanks 🙂
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
York is flat, quiet since 1070AD or so, small. My uncle taught at the Uni and I did like it on frequent visits.
Manchester seems to be big, damp , sprawling, > 200000 students spread across all of their universities. People like Man U.
Glasgow is the best in terms of reputation, in my opinion, most interesting city. Full of life.

My friend however chose to study her English BA in the quiet tiny city of Lincoln. Now she’s just starting at Exeter for her Masters in Eng......so, choose a place you’d like, and take your career further in many ways, not a final choice yet, just another step?
Ciara0720
Rep:
?
(Original post by LuigiMario)
York is flat, quiet since 1070AD or so, small. My uncle taught at the Uni and I did like it on frequent visits.
Manchester seems to be big, damp , sprawling, > 200000 students spread across all of their universities. People like Man U.
Glasgow is the best in terms of reputation, in my opinion, most interesting city. Full of life.

My friend however chose to study her English BA in the quiet tiny city of Lincoln. Now she’s just starting at Exeter for her Masters in Eng......so, choose a place you’d like, and take your career further in many ways, not a final choice yet, just another step?
Interesting that you rank Glasgow highest, I've heard good and bad (however the city, architecture and people seem lovely!) I'm not that interested in Lincoln because it seems like I might undersell myself there, but I am pleased for your friend!
Thanks for your help and have a great evening 🙂
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ideally this is what your five university course choices should look like :
1 'risky' choice - one grade above your predicted grades
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - one of two grades below your predicted grade
Not only will you be likely to end up with more than one or two offers, but you will also have a range of offers. This is important when picking a firm and insurance choice.

Look at somewhere like Bristol, Sussex, Liverpool, or UEA - but check you have got the range of grade requirements as above.
Ciara0720
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Ideally this is what your five university course choices should look like :
1 'risky' choice - one grade above your predicted grades
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - one of two grades below your predicted grade
Not only will you be likely to end up with more than one or two offers, but you will also have a range of offers. This is important when picking a firm and insurance choice.

Look at somewhere like Bristol, Sussex, Liverpool, or UEA - but check you have got the range of grade requirements as above.
Thanks for your advice 🙂 However, I have already achieved my A level at grades A*A*A*A - would this mean I could theoretically aim mostly at aspirational unis? If so, which would you pick?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciara0720)
Thanks for your advice 🙂 However, I have already achieved my A level at grades A*A*A*A - would this mean I could theoretically aim mostly at aspirational unis? If so, which would you pick?
In that case - Durham, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow - but I'm not you, and what you will look for in a Uni course will be unique to you. Yes, you can aim for Unis asking the highest grades - but that does not necessarily mean that its the 'best' course or that its right course for you. For instance, are you interested in your own writing, or certain genres/eras of Literature, or including a Study Abroad Year? Are you interested in a joint subject degree - English and Drama, English and Linguistics etc - or do you want to also study for instance, Scottish Literature? American Literature?

You need to look at all these courses in detail and pick the 5 that most appeal to you - they wont all be the same, and only you can decide which interest you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.2%
I'm not sure (59)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.85%
I'm not a current university student (636)
49.07%

Watched Threads