ABC predictions, will I get an offer for an ABB course?

Watch
Salwa1404
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I just got given ABC for my predictions, but I really wanted to go to Royal Holloway for History and International Relations (they needed a ABB)

I’m still gonna apply, but I’m not sure if I’m 100% gonna get in...
What’s the likelihood of acceptance?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Its worth a go - some Unis / some courses make 'aspirational' offers to those whose predictions don't quite meet the grade requirements. So its worth having one choice like this - as long as you are realistic and accept that you might not get an offer, or if you do you'll have to raise your game to get the grades required.

Ideally this is what your five university course choices should look like :
1 'risky' choice - one grade above your predicted grades
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - one of two grades below your predicted grades - potential Insurance choice.
Ciara0720
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I used the UCAS offer rate calculator (for History as they don't have the data for the joint course) and it says 90% - do be aware this isn't entirely accurate though as they will consider your GCSEs, personal statement and strength relative to the field. According to theuniguide, even though the entry requirements are AAB-ABB, many students have BBC https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/royal-...1-8b2cf88f841d so even if they don't make you an offer it's possible you could get in through clearing anyway! Best of luck 🙂
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciara0720)
even though the entry requirements are AAB-ABB, many students have BBC
Be careful how you use this sort of info.
Those on the lower grades may be a) on special widening participation schemes, b) have mitigating circumstances, or 3) be overseas applicants. It does not mean that everyone predicted BBC will get an offer, or if you will be accepted if you get those grades in August.
er2012
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Salwa1404)
So I just got given ABC for my predictions, but I really wanted to go to Royal Holloway for History and International Relations (they needed a ABB)

Definitely still go for it. Just because the typical offer is ABB that doesn’t mean that’s the offer they give everyone who applies. It’s not just about predicted grades it’s about your personal statement and references etc. Good luck!!
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You might as well try!
Just make sure you meet your other choices' requirements.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Salwa1404)

I think it’s highly likely you would get a conditional offer from Royal Holloway. The offer would be ABB so just remember it’s not getting the offer that is the hard part (for most Unis) it is getting the grades in the exams
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (61)
15.37%
I'm not sure (14)
3.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (134)
33.75%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.51%
I'm not a current university student (182)
45.84%

Watched Threads