a levels. pls someone give me advice lol

Watch
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im in year 12 taking maths furthermaths physics and chemistry, thinking of studying a STEM subject at uni (aiming high! Oxbridge, imperial etc..)

I just had some questions and was wondering if anyone could answer them?
1. for subjects like sciences, how do you make notes? there are sooo many resources and soo many website im getting so overwhelmed by trying to make 'perfect' notes lol

2. how much work do I have to do everyday? Im doing around 2 hours now...but is that enough to study STEM at a really good uni? If not, how much work do you say I have to do...

3. when are you supposed to start doing wider reading and stuff like that? Are you supposed to start doing it at the beginning of year 12?

thank s so much
m.s124
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1. Dont worry too much about making "perfect notes". use your exam board textbook and specification as a checklist and then add on notes when you come across things you didn't know. If you focus on making perfect notes for every topic it will be time consuming and for all your subjects you mainly want to be doing past paper questions

2. It not about how long you spend its about what you do. So everyday complete hw the day you get it. Write your notes the day you learn the topic - for physics and chem. And for maths and fm look at questions on the topic you just learnt (there should questions after every topic in your textbook that they give you.) On weekends you can do extra stuff like practice questions on physics and maths tutor and flashcards and stuff

3. Yes start doing your wider reading now. Write a list of everything you do and what you found interesting about it... and then by the end of year 12 you will have list of things you can potentially talk about in your personal statement. keep you eye out for work experience opportunities, webinars, online lectures, essay competitions that you could get involved in.

There are many things that are opening up for applications now such as engineering programmes and I cant remember when summer school applications open up but always keep looking!! It seems like a lot but it will get more manageable the more you get used to it.

Good luck!!
josie71202
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
start wider reading ASAP as you'll get busy in exam time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.86%

Watched Threads