Feel like I'm struggling with A levels

Watch
fenton484
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm in year 13 and there's just so much stuff to remember! I revise every day, for 2 hours +, but I can never cover everything and so I'm always forgetting stuff. I'm doing sociology history and english language. I hate english language, I really don't get the child language aquisition section, i'm failing to apply my knowledge to texts etc.. I'm worired that if I fail an a level liek don't get a an A or B or even a C i won't be able to go to uni.
Sarvienn
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At year 13, it'll be difficult to change subs, but restarting a levels is an option to take subjects you will like. The other thing is, increase your study hours, try to love the subject you hate, try to understand it, try hard. and then try harder.

You'll hate it maybe, but understand it and know it. That's what the exam wants. Really, I studied 7 hours a day for A levels, ate for one hour and spent 5 hours sleeping. I followed the philosophy someone once told me : 4 Past papers a day on schooling days, 8 on holidays. It was hell, I hated it. But I wanted the grades so bad. Find your hunger, find the motivation. You say you're scared to not go to uni. So what will you do about it? Find the spirit, unleash yourself into the subject. Know it better than anyone..

You can, and you will. Good luck!
fenton484
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sarvienn)
At year 13, it'll be difficult to change subs, but restarting a levels is an option to take subjects you will like. The other thing is, increase your study hours, try to love the subject you hate, try to understand it, try hard. and then try harder.

You'll hate it maybe, but understand it and know it. That's what the exam wants. Really, I studied 7 hours a day for A levels, ate for one hour and spent 5 hours sleeping. I followed the philosophy someone once told me : 4 Past papers a day on schooling days, 8 on holidays. It was hell, I hated it. But I wanted the grades so bad. Find your hunger, find the motivation. You say you're scared to not go to uni. So what will you do about it? Find the spirit, unleash yourself into the subject. Know it better than anyone..

You can, and you will. Good luck!
That's easier said than done, you must admit that. How can you do 8 past papers a day and still have ones left to do? Most of the exam specification for my courses has only been around for the last 5 years at most. It's not healthy to spend that much time for revising.
Sarvienn
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fenton484)
That's easier said than done, you must admit that. How can you do 8 past papers a day and still have ones left to do? Most of the exam specification for my courses has only been around for the last 5 years at most. It's not healthy to spend that much time for revising.
Sorry if i made it seem easy in words. NO! By no means was I suggesting you to do that. I was a psycho, so was the person who told me to do it. Please don't do that. I did those during revision periods, and by past papers I meant exam style questions included. So, from websites like physicsandmathstutor or savemyexams they had practice papers, then there were other exam boards aswell that I did to try and get a gist of answering questions unfamiliar to me. I also did the older specification ones, i remember papers dating back to 2000 for some subjects. It was to always stay sharp, so I did as many as I could find. You're right in that as I started repeating certain papers too at one point.

My suggestion was to put in more time into A Levels, I only did that because I really couldnt understand certain things in Physics, and I really needed to. Also, try a different method of learning ( Maybe youtube has some good teachings of the subject? )

all the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (192)
29.58%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (107)
16.49%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.94%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.86%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.72%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.86%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.24%

Watched Threads