The Student Room Group

Part-Time Study Subject Restrictions

https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/products/part-time-undergraduate-education/part-time-tuition-fee-loan/eligibility/

This page on the SLC website mentions some subject restrictions for part-time tuition funding, but I can't tell if this is only in reference to second degrees. I do not currently have a degree, so do these subject restrictions still apply as the funding would be towards my first degree?
Original post by Gwasan
https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/products/part-time-undergraduate-education/part-time-tuition-fee-loan/eligibility/

This page on the SLC website mentions some subject restrictions for part-time tuition funding, but I can't tell if this is only in reference to second degrees. I do not currently have a degree, so do these subject restrictions still apply as the funding would be towards my first degree?

Hi, please clarify what restrictions?

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, please clarify what restrictions?

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac, thanks for your reply!

1. Aberystwyth University, BA Fine Art or BA Welsh
2. 24
3. UK citizen, I'm currently a full-time student, and I have lived in the UK my whole life
4. (this is where it gets complicated!) 1 year BA Fine Art (full-time); 3 (out of 4) years BSc Computer Science (full-time), but no degree achieved and 1 year of full-time funding remaining.
Original post by Gwasan
Hi Isaac, thanks for your reply!

1. Aberystwyth University, BA Fine Art or BA Welsh
2. 24
3. UK citizen, I'm currently a full-time student, and I have lived in the UK my whole life
4. (this is where it gets complicated!) 1 year BA Fine Art (full-time); 3 (out of 4) years BSc Computer Science (full-time), but no degree achieved and 1 year of full-time funding remaining.

To confirm. you want to study a 3 year BA fine art or welsh course starting fresh from year 1 and you have 4 years of previous full time funding with no qualification gained?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Yes, that's correct. As I say, though, I realise it might not be possible, but I don't really understand the subject restrictions. The fact that the above page says "they study a second part-time degree in approved science, engineering and technology subjects" followed by the list of subjects, makes me think that the subject restrictions are only for people who already have a completed degree and are going for a second with part-time funding, but I just wanted to be sure.
Original post by Gwasan
Yes, that's correct. As I say, though, I realise it might not be possible, but I don't really understand the subject restrictions. The fact that the above page says "they study a second part-time degree in approved science, engineering and technology subjects" followed by the list of subjects, makes me think that the subject restrictions are only for people who already have a completed degree and are going for a second with part-time funding, but I just wanted to be sure.

If your new course is part time and you have 4 years of full time previous study with no qualification gained then you will be funded.

Previous full time study does not affect part time eligibility as long as you gained no qualification.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending