Is it worth getting both an iPad and a Macbook?

Watch
India247
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have had the iPad Pro 10.5 for about 2 years now and was thinking about getting the MacBook Air.
I already have a keyboard for my iPad.
Is it worth getting a MacBook?
Bagarigak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wouldn't get an iPad or a Macbook Don't personally like Apple products (even though I have an iphone :eek:)
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by India247)
I have had the iPad Pro 10.5 for about 2 years now and was thinking about getting the MacBook Air.
Do you regularly sit there with your iPad and keyboard and think "wow, I really wish I had an actual laptop for this job instead"?

Then yeah, you might benefit from having one. If you don't, you obviously won't.

Jesus, you already own the thing. Just think for yourself a little bit.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Whilst I do like the Apple OS, I wouldn’t buy a MacBook.

What would you be using it for?
username5177602
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends. The question is better answered when looking at it as "Is it worth getting a laptop" and to answer that question, we'd need to know why you're considering buying a laptop in the first place. If you want it because you think you would benefit from the better software support, arguably better keyboard(subjective but tablet type covers generally aren't on the same level as a proper laptop keyboard), more screen real estate, all the other benefits of a laptop, then it'd make sense. If you're buying one just for the sake of having one, then it might not be worth it. Of course, without knowing things like what you'll be doing with it, it's hard to give a proper recommendation.

I'll point out that if you do decide that you do want a new laptop and you decide you want a MacBook, and you're not in a rush to buy, then it's worth waiting for the Apple Silicon MacBooks to come out as they will likely offer better longevity as Apple is likely to discontinue it's current Intel-based MacBooks once it's done with the transition to its own CPUs. It's also probably worth pointing out the fact you've always got the option of getting a Windows Laptop, and if you're unsure of what to get I've written an entire guide here.

I've moved this thread into Laptops, Netbooks and Tablets btw.
India247
Rep:
?
QUOTE=Gofre;91064414]Do you regularly sit there with your iPad and keyboard and think "wow, I really wish I had an actual laptop for this job instead"?

Then yeah, you might benefit from having one. If you don't, you obviously won't.

Jesus, you already own the thing. Just think for yourself a little bit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your opinion. Not much need for the unnecessary rudeness but, thanks either way
Last edited by India247; 4 weeks ago
India247
Rep:
?
(Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
Whilst I do like the Apple OS, I wouldn’t buy a MacBook.

What would you be using it for?
Very simple stuff. Just the Microsoft packages like excel, word etc.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Very simple stuff. Just the Microsoft packages like excel, word etc.
Do you have a Laptop/PC already? If you do, I don’t really see any benefit to getting a MacBook Air if it’s pretty much just for MS (especially as the windows version of this is better imo).

I’ve not been impressed with the MBA’s I’ve dealt with, and there are definitely better alternatives.
India247
Rep:
?
(Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
Do you have a Laptop/PC already? If you do, I don’t really see any benefit to getting a MacBook Air if it’s pretty much just for MS (especially as the windows version of this is better imo).

I’ve not been impressed with the MBA’s I’ve dealt with, and there are definitely better alternatives.
No, I don’t have a laptop anymore. I had a MacBook but this was about 5-6 years ago and to be honest, it wasn’t the best machine ever (and I know things have significantly changed). Is the air a bad model in particular or are MacBooks not great in general anymore?
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, I don’t have a laptop anymore. I had a MacBook but this was about 5-6 years ago and to be honest, it wasn’t the best machine ever (and I know things have significantly changed). Is the air a bad model in particular or are MacBooks not great in general anymore?
MacBooks look great and generally work great (I think we had some 2012 models that still work fine), but for the price and what you intend to use it for I don’t think they’re worth it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.49%
I'm not sure (11)
2.99%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (127)
34.51%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.63%
I'm not a current university student (167)
45.38%

Watched Threads