tecna
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
i have heard from ppl that both of them are a dead end..?
deadroseex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Alishaxo2112 Weren't these 2 of our options on the list of careers?
Alishaxo2112
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by deadroseex)
Alishaxo2112 Weren't these 2 of our options on the list of careers?
Optometristcity that’s what it’s called lmaooo
deadroseex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alishaxo2112)
optometristcity that’s what it’s called lmaooo
lmfaoo what??
Alishaxo2112
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by deadroseex)
lmfaoo what??
Goodbye.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At the moment, I would say optometry, as it's a year shorter saving you fees, and the pay is still better than pharmacy and I don't think it's so saturated, and it's less stressful than pharmacy. That's just the impression I get, as I'm a community pharmacist!
Alishaxo2112
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 0895)
At the moment, I would say optometry, as it's a year shorter saving you fees, and the pay is still better than pharmacy and I don't think it's so saturated, and it's less stressful than pharmacy. That's just the impression I get, as I'm a community pharmacist!
My friends sleeping rnnn but I’ll say it for her lmao thankssss we appreciate it 💞💞
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You're welcome!
Ohnourlp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 0895)
isn't optometry a bsc degree compared to pharmacy which is a masters ? So isn't pharmacy shorter. And if you don't mind me asking what is your sincere opinion of pharmacy, I'm meant to start in October and everyone is telling to change before its too late.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ohnourlp)
isn't optometry a bsc degree compared to pharmacy which is a masters ? So isn't pharmacy shorter. And if you don't mind me asking what is your sincere opinion of pharmacy, I'm meant to start in October and everyone is telling to change before its too late.
Pharmacy is an MPharm, but it's an undergrad masters degree. It's not the same as having an MA or an MSc. You could still do one of those after if you wanted to though.
My honest opinion is, there is nothing wrong with the degree, apart from there being, in my opinion, too many schools of pharmacy, the degree is very interesting because it is varied. The problem is when you qualify. You will probably feel that the rewards are not commensurate with the effort you put in. And I'm talking about community pharmacy here. At least in hospital there is a career path. I did the 3 yr degree, and I know when I qualified, we all felt we were over-qualified for community pharmacy.
Do you really need to rush off and do something this year even? Because of Covid you aren't really going to get a good experience, at least the first year and that's from reading what the universities have planned. Whether students will adhere to all the new regulations and rules, is another matter though!!
Remember you are going to work until you are 70, so if you're not sure, maybe take a year out and do more research and have a think.
Ohnourlp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 0895)
Pharmacy is an MPharm, but it's an undergrad masters degree. It's not the same as having an MA or an MSc. You could still do one of those after if you wanted to though.
My honest opinion is, there is nothing wrong with the degree, apart from there being, in my opinion, too many schools of pharmacy, the degree is very interesting because it is varied. The problem is when you qualify. You will probably feel that the rewards are not commensurate with the effort you put in. And I'm talking about community pharmacy here. At least in hospital there is a career path. I did the 3 yr degree, and I know when I qualified, we all felt we were over-qualified for community pharmacy.
Do you really need to rush off and do something this year even? Because of Covid you aren't really going to get a good experience, at least the first year and that's from reading what the universities have planned. Whether students will adhere to all the new regulations and rules, is another matter though!!
Remember you are going to work until you are 70, so if you're not sure, maybe take a year out and do more research and have a think.
how did you do the three year degree ?
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ohnourlp)
how did you do the three year degree ?
Prior to (I think around) 2001 it was a 3yr degree plus 1 yr pre-reg.
Ohnourlp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 0895)
I’m doing five plus pre reg ahhhhh
quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 0895)
i thought 2004 was the year it became MPharm (in anycase, still before my time :lol: )
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
i thought 2004 was the year it became MPharm (in anycase, still before my time :lol: )
2001 was the 'fallow year', when no new graduates emerged as they were all starting their new 4th yr.
quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 0895)
2001 was the 'fallow year', when no new graduates emerged as they were all starting their new 4th yr.
fair enough.
tecna
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 0895)
Thank you for the advice I'm having mocks at the same time n have to write my ps too so it's kinda stressfull n busy but I recently spoke to someone regarding the pay etc n how optometry is much better n they were like to be with pharmacy u can make ur own n make bare money etc obv I'm not money orientated but like u said I'm not gonnna waste 4 years of my life studying for a low paid job so I do take that into consideration. .what's ur opinion on that
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tecna)
Thank you for the advice I'm having mocks at the same time n have to write my ps too so it's kinda stressfull n busy but I recently spoke to someone regarding the pay etc n how optometry is much better n they were like to be with pharmacy u can make ur own n make bare money etc obv I'm not money orientated but like u said I'm not gonnna waste 4 years of my life studying for a low paid job so I do take that into consideration. .what's ur opinion on that
If you read some of my other posts, you can see how I mention my pay has been frozen or reduced since 2008. That's 12 yrs now on the same OR less money!!
And as we have a flat funding package in community pharmacy until 2024, then I don't see any pay rises until then, apart from in hard to cover places like Mcdonalds style dispensaries and rural areas.
The problem is, or at least one of them, for employers, they have an increasing minimum wage to pay, plus pension contributions, and this is mandated in law by the government. If there was a shortage of pharmacists then they would have to pay pharmacists a bit more to tempt them to work and take a bit of a hit on their profit margin. But..... as there is always now, a pharmacist willing to work, sometimes as low as £14/15 an hour then there will be low and static pay in community pharmacy.
I believe Boots have recently raised their pay for pharmacists to around £36k a year basic, and I think Lloyds are paying £18 an hour min.
Now if you consider I was on £23 an hour in 2008.....and I was on £28k a year as a pharmacy manager in 1997, then you can see how bad pay is now.
That's just my personal opinion, and as I have said many times there is nothing wrong with a pharmacy degree, it's the job at the end of it.

Just remember universities are basically businesses now. They are trying to sell you a place. They don't have to with medicine or dentistry, but Pharmacy is actively recruiting in Clearing now. In the late 80s when I was looking for a place, in clearing you would be lucky to find Leicester poly or Sunderland poly.
Also, you can't just open a pharmacy anywhere, you have to apply, the old criteria used to be desirable, and/or necessary, but this has changed slightly over the years. But as government actively wants less community pharmacies and Boots and Lloyds are closing them, the only way is to buy an existing contract, so i hope you have a very rich elderly relative with about half a mill in their will for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (177)
28.37%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.67%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.29%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.33%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8.01%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.19%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.93%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.21%

Watched Threads