The Student Room Group

Any electrical engineers able to help me design a computer board?

Hey, I'm aa second year computer student. During lockdown I started a small computing project called Teremity. The original purpose of this project was to design a very rudimentary operating system to run on x86 computers. Now, this may sound stupid, but x86 composters have become so complex that its become increasingly difficult to write software two manage this hardware components. So, I started looking into older machines and saw they are far simpler and actually encourage user manipulation of the hardware to perform tasks unlike modern computers which hide it away from users.

This older retro computers are becoming increasingly expensive and are breaking down far more often so really getting one of those is kinda out the question. It was at this point where I decided to broaden my scope of the project. I want to design a computer system board that has the explicit goal of teaching people how to write software to manage hardware. The software I've got down. I can write a kernel to control the computer. It's the hardware I'm having trouble with. Specifically video and external data storage. I've currently got a schematic that has a processor, RAM and ROM connected. If anyone has any interest in helping with this project please DM and I'd be happy to share more details.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending