The Student Room Group

A-levels but no GCSES

Hi, so I want to study in the uk. Currently started year 13, but it has struck me that I do not have gcses since Im an international student who just joined the english system in year 12. I looked up gcses equivalents on UCAS and my country does not appear in it so Im really nervous. Anyone have any insight or advice? Thankyou so much.
Original post by wherethemangos
Hi, so I want to study in the uk. Currently started year 13, but it has struck me that I do not have gcses since Im an international student who just joined the english system in year 12. I looked up gcses equivalents on UCAS and my country does not appear in it so Im really nervous. Anyone have any insight or advice? Thankyou so much.

I cant work out if you are in the UK or not or what you are studying?

In any even ideally have GCSE English and Maths.
English can be replaced by passing IELTS Academic for UK Visa. and the required score.
Speak to your school.
If you have no time to do GCSE, then you can consider functional skills, which may be sat every 6 weeks if test centres are running. Unis may accept that.

Its all about grades.

Depending on your status you may or may not be eligible for uni funding.
Original post by 999tigger
I cant work out if you are in the UK or not or what you are studying?

In any even ideally have GCSE English and Maths.
English can be replaced by passing IELTS Academic for UK Visa. and the required score.
Speak to your school.
If you have no time to do GCSE, then you can consider functional skills, which may be sat every 6 weeks if test centres are running. Unis may accept that.

Its all about grades.

Depending on your status you may or may not be eligible for uni funding.

Hi! Thank you for answering. I am outside the UK but in the EU. I study at an international school where I do A levels. Currently doing A2. I have my C2 with the CPE in english, which completes the english requirements of universities(does that replace english gcse?idk) I will speak to my school, though Im feeling anxious haha, although they haven't told me anything and have seemed fine with my past grades upon acception into the school, and seem supportive with my plans to apply to th uk.
Reply 3
You don't need GCSEs to attend a UK university, although if what you have taken isn't recognised they may require GCSE English Language (or IELTS) and/or GCSE Maths - if you're not taking A level maths.

https://www.naric.org.uk/ might be worth a look
Original post by Compost
You don't need GCSEs to attend a UK university, although if what you have taken isn't recognised they may require GCSE English Language (or IELTS) and/or GCSE Maths - if you're not taking A level maths.

https://www.naric.org.uk/ might be worth a look

Ah okay thansk for your reply. I have taken CPE and got my C2 so I dont know if that counts, and yeah, I'm taking Maths A level. That web was helpful but it costs to have your qualifications converted.

Quick Reply

Latest