The Student Room Group

Can I do economics modules at uni with no maths background?

They don't require maths but the course seems to be incredibly mathematical and it is calculus based. I also don't have an economics background.
They’ll teach you the maths you need.
Original post by Ki Yung Na
They’ll teach you the maths you need.

Maths and economics a level is not a requirement but for some reason it seems to be quite maths based. I really hope they will teach the maths needed as it is making me a bit anxious.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Maths and economics a level is not a requirement but for some reason it seems to be quite maths based. I really hope they will teach the maths needed as it is making me a bit anxious.

Dont worry, they will.

I’m doing it (second year) and they have done. It’s not difficult, they teach you how to do it and then the actual examination isn’t that difficult. Maybe even easier than most A level papers.
You should speak to the module leader about your suitability for that module. They may require students without A-level Maths to take a corequisite mathematical methods module alongside it, or they may cover the material in the course. However I am skeptical they can teach you calculus from scratch along with all relevant supporting maths, without A-level Maths as background, AND include any other content in that module (economics or otherwise).
Original post by artful_lounger
You should speak to the module leader about your suitability for that module. They may require students without A-level Maths to take a corequisite mathematical methods module alongside it, or they may cover the material in the course. However I am skeptical they can teach you calculus from scratch along with all relevant supporting maths, without A-level Maths as background, AND include any other content in that module (economics or otherwise).

I agree with this. My friend who was doing an Econ degree at Edinburgh seriously struggled with 1st year economics. He ended up changing his degree to a variant of business that required little to no maths.

I'd encourage you to find an Econ course that has little to no maths, or to do any other course that you'd have an easier time with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending