Is the age of consent really 12 in phillipines?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Not sure if anyone else saw this but I saw on the news today a british man was jailed for flying to the phillipines to take advantage of the lower age of consent and have sex with girls aged 12-14 however was caught by phillipine police and brought back to britain to be sentenced where he is now serving prison.

I'm pretty confused because although this is wildly wrong, why is he serving prison considering he technically didn't break any laws? Yes it's messed up but the girls were over the age of consent so he didn't break the law right? like if a 70 year old man was kissing a 16 year old girl in england, the police wouldn't do anything as it's legal.

An example would be an adult from america where the age of consent is 18, flying to england, having sex with a 16 year old british girl and then getting in trouble with the police here or getting reported to the US police and sent back to america to be arrested and sentenced to prison because she was under 18?

fyi I am not defending him, what he did was wrong but I'm just curious why he's arrested when he technically didn't break the law.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Was the victim a prostitute because it is forbidden in the Phillipines to have sex with a prostitute who is younger than 18?
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Not sure if anyone else saw this but I saw on the news today a british man was jailed for flying to the phillipines to take advantage of the lower age of consent and have sex with girls aged 12-14 however was caught by phillipine police and brought back to britain to be sentenced where he is now serving prison.

I'm pretty confused because although this is wildly wrong, why is he serving prison considering he technically didn't break any laws? Yes it's messed up but the girls were over the age of consent so he didn't break the law right? like if a 70 year old man was kissing a 16 year old girl in england, the police wouldn't do anything as it's legal.

An example would be an adult from america where the age of consent is 18, flying to england, having sex with a 16 year old british girl and then getting in trouble with the police here or getting reported to the US police and sent back to america to be arrested and sentenced to prison because she was under 18?

fyi I am not defending him, what he did was wrong but I'm just curious why he's arrested when he technically didn't break the law.
Most likely he tried to solicit sex with the girls for money aka prositution which is likely illegal over there, but it's not illegal if no prostitution is involved.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
Most likely he tried to solicit sex with the girls for money aka prositution which is likely illegal over there, but it's not illegal if no prostitution is involved.
So in the Philipines shagging kids is ok, but prostitution is a big no no? That country is in dire need of legal reform.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
So in the Philipines shagging kids is ok, but prostitution is a big no no? That country is in dire need of legal reform.
Age of consent is quite low over there. Prostitution of kids is illegal, i'm not sure about adults...

if he simply accosted the girls naturally there would be no crime under filipino law, aka no arrest, and realistically speaking even though he technically broke british law which says british nationals can't travel abroad for sex with underage girls ... the police here wouldn't know about it, and even if they did get informed they would lack the ability to investigate as they have no jurisdiction in the philippines meaning he'd most likely get off
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
Age of consent is quite low over there. Prostitution of kids is illegal, i'm not sure about adults...

if he simply accosted the girls naturally there would be no crime under filipino law, aka no arrest, and realistically speaking even though he technically broke british law which says british nationals can't travel abroad for sex with underage girls ... the police here wouldn't know about it, and even if they did get informed they would lack the ability to investigate as they have no jurisdiction in the philippines meaning he'd most likely get off
Prostitution is completely illegal in the Phillipines. I cannot fathom why they generally think it's acceptable for grown adults to have sex with children as young as 12. Oh, yeah, after reading their laws it's clear that's what he must have done, hope he rots.
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He broke UK law. Since 2008 it's been illegal to go abroad and have sex with anyone under 16.
It's an offence under the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act s.72:
Offences outside the United Kingdom
(1) If--
(a) a United Kingdom national does an act in a country outside the United Kingdom, and
(b) the act, if done in England and Wales or Northern Ireland, would constitute a sexual offence to which this section applies, the United Kingdom national is guilty in that part of the United Kingdom of that sexual offence
Also see: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7500927.stm
Last edited by MedicWil; 1 month ago
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why did this remind me of Gary Glitter
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TJ1997)
Why did this remind me of Gary Glitter
Because he committed his sex crimes in the nearby country of Thailand.
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Because he committed his sex crimes in the nearby country of Thailand.
Yeah I knew about his deeds, but for some reason had the Philippines in mind that he was then extradited from.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TJ1997)
Yeah I knew about his deeds, but for some reason had the Philippines in mind that he was then extradited from.
The Phillipines barred his entry in 2008 that's probably why you thought of it, but he was extraditied from Vietnam which is where he raped the two girls.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I looked it up and found this article, quite interesting apparently the lowest is Nigeria at 11 but then there is places closer to home like Germany at 14
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by paul514)
I looked it up and found this article, quite interesting apparently the lowest is Nigeria at 11 but then there is places closer to home like Germany at 14
https://www.theweek.co.uk/92121/ages...-the-world?amp might help if I link it
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Middle East: Like parts of North Africa, most Middle Eastern countries do not have a set age of consent but require that the couple are married. This includes Afghanistan, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Yemen. In many countries where sex outside of marriage is illegal, the minimum age of marriage is lower for women than for men. It is common for courts to grant permission for girls to marry below the legal age. In Iran in 2010, for example, The Daily Telegraph reported that as many as 42,000 children aged between ten and 14 were married, and 716 girls younger than ten had wed. In Jordan, 16-year-olds can consent to sex, while in Iraq they must be 18. By contrast, Bahrain has the highest age of consent in the world, at 21.
:lolwut:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.64%
I'm not sure (54)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (344)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.98%
I'm not a current university student (570)
48.51%

Watched Threads