Emotional abuse?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I have been with my boyfriend for nearly 6 years. At the start of the relationship it was fantastic and I’m one of those people who fall in love quick and hard.
Over the last few years there have been many changes in his behaviour. Most recently, tonight, he called me a ‘stupid woman’, about a month ago he threw carrots at me which he was holding because he got annoyed and whenever I bring anything up which he disagrees with he walks out of the room or brings something up which annoys him which I do.
At this moment in time writing this I feel in two minds, part of me is depressed... who wants to be with a stupid woman who always acts the victim- his words. The other part wants this relationship so bad. We have been together for so long and I can’t imagine being without him.
Another point, if I’m doing something which annoys him he will hurt me and then pretend that he didn’t realise it would hurt me. E.g. kick me away.
I can’t help looking into emotional abuse however I feel that we are also meant to be.
Do you think I am overreacting or have I got a right to be concerned about this behaviour?
I’ve never felt like he will kill me or even harm me severely, it’s more the emotional side of the relationship which I am struggling to handle.
Last edited by Interrobang; 2 months ago
akany:)
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It sounds like he's taking advantage of your relationship so yeah I'd say this is emotional abuse. I don't think it's a wise idea to be in this relationship if he continues to do things that could potentially harm you physically and hurt you emotionally. A relationship is supposed to be fun and you are so supposed to not be afraid to tell someone anything. You aren't acting like the victim you are realising that something is going on with him and it is NOT your fault. don't take responsibility for his behaviour. because you've been in this relationship so long it may feel like you can't live without him but that's what an emotional attachment does, i think the best reason is to leave him because it seems like he can't treat you right and you deserve better. break up, find yourself and move on yes it will be difficult but the hardest and toughest situations shape you and prepare you for anything and make you a tougher person.
i hope this helps
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Toxic. 6 years or 6 days, you should in now way feel trapped in a relationship just because of the time you've been together.
In the very least he clearly doesnt respect you, why would you want to be in a relationship with someone like that? He also shouldnt be making you miserable, thats not a healthy relationship. You deserve much more than that.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
Wow you just literally described my situation atm. 🌸 This is abuse. I looked into it and its not okay. I completely understand your position “two minds” because I’m constantly battling this. In the end either you will leave or he will but atm he’s got no reason to leave because you are the girlfriend of his dreams. You deserve better and should never be called any names!! I’ve been researching about emotional abuse and it’s helped me so much in understanding my feelings and my confidence. I recommend you do the same there’s loads of videos online and websites on google that explain what emotional abuse is and how to leave a toxic relationship. It’s not easy and quite frankly a battle not with him but yourself.. the abuse is mentally tiring. Overall think it through speak to your close friends and family if you can. However the online info is brilliant. Stay strong and keep yourself safe 🌸
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (135)
28.6%
No - I have already returned home (63)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.7%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (136)
28.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise