Exactly what does it mean for a university to be "strong" in its law department?

Watch
gabriel001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Exactly what does it mean for a university to be "strong" in its law department? Does it count on the league table? Or consistency on the league table? Or the faculty (i.e.credentials of lecturers, tutors)? Or difficulty of course? Or entry requirements? Or whether the faculty houses some major law textbook authors?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
I believe they train their lawyers throughly and see how much they can bench every week. Dont be surprised when you get your reading list it will be extensive and you will be expected to keep benching textbooks and law reports whilst social distancing. One of the stringets law faculties in Nottingham.
gabriel001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
I believe they train their lawyers throughly and see how much they can bench every week. Dont be surprised when you get your reading list it will be extensive and you will be expected to keep benching textbooks and law reports whilst social distancing. One of the stringets law faculties in Nottingham.
hmmm. You seem to be very supportive of Notts' law school. Did you do your law degree there? Or worked there before?
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gabriel001)
Exactly what does it mean for a university to be "strong" in its law department? Does it count on the league table? Or consistency on the league table? Or the faculty (i.e.credentials of lecturers, tutors)? Or difficulty of course? Or entry requirements? Or whether the faculty houses some major law textbook authors?
Textbook writing isn't seen as a major academic accomplishment unless that textbook is the first of its kind or illuminating in some other way.

There is no set definition of 'strong'. Every person cares about different aspects of a faculty. For me, 'strength' would come through adding academic value - i.e. how good at teaching the faculty is, how well they enrich the students' broader understanding of law, etc. Adding careers value is another 'strength' if that value isn't something that can be found online or isn't something that anyone at any university can access. But opinions can vary.

I wouldn't judge a university based on raw outputs (e.g. % of students in employment or further education), because these are influenced primarily by things outside its control.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (58)
14.83%
I'm not sure (14)
3.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (133)
34.02%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.53%
I'm not a current university student (180)
46.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise