Guy started crying when I cancelled our first date...

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is crazy, but here goes...

I 'met' this guy on an internet dating site, and we have been chatting for a few weeks. It was all good, but I went to work and had to put my phone away. He accused me of gaslighting (wtf)even tho I was working. I decided it was too needy, and wayyyy too soon to be reacting like that, so I told him I just wanted to be friends. I made up some stuff about having too much on atm, because I don't wanna hurt his feelings, and i admitted that he was really stressing me out. He proceeded to send me tonnes of voicenotes where he's crying, and saying he can't be friends, cos he'll always wants more, but then he's begging me to stay in contact. He says he really cares for me, but we HAVE NOT met face to face. it's all too much, isn't it? The stupid thing is, I feel very guilty about it all. I feel like I'm being emotionally manipulated. I don't wanna be nasty to him, but it's mental. How can I tell him to back off without being horrible?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
If it were me I’d block him on everything and never speak to him again.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Block his ass, he sounds unhinged.
deadroseex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I 'met' this guy on an internet dating site, and we have been chatting for a few weeks. It was all good, but I went to work and had to put my phone away. He accused me of gaslighting (wtf)even tho I was working. I decided it was too needy, and wayyyy too soon to be reacting like that, so I told him I just wanted to be friends. I made up some stuff about having too much on atm, because I don't wanna hurt his feelings, and i admitted that he was really stressing me out. He proceeded to send me tonnes of voicenotes where he's crying, and saying he can't be friends, cos he'll always wants more, but then he's begging me to stay in contact. He says he really cares for me, but we HAVE NOT met face to face. it's all too much, isn't it? The stupid thing is, I feel very guilty about it all. I feel like I'm being emotionally manipulated. I don't wanna be nasty to him, but it's mental. How can I tell him to back off without being horrible?
I think he has attachment issues..I mean 2 weeks then crying? That's mad. I think you should tell him straight that you don't want to go further with this. If he wants to stay in contact he may. If he still wants more block him. Nobody has time for people begging it all the time.
Anonymous #1
The scary thing is that he's a police officer too.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The scary thing is that he's a police officer too.
Somewhat worrying. I stand by you should block him and never speak to him again, you dobt want a creep with the powers of a cop making your life unpleasant.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Napp)
Somewhat worrying. I stand by you should block him and never speak to him again, you dobt want a creep with the powers of a cop making your life unpleasant.
Yeh, I am just trying to be kind and not resort to that, because it sounds like he's been through a lot. He opened up massively about some childhood trauma, and I feel really bad for him, but at the same time, I can't deal with this madness. It's too full on for me.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s a bit bonkers and not really your problem to solve although it is positive that you feel some compassion. Dating rejection can be soul destroying, particularly repeated, but you can’t lay it at the person you’re hoping to go out withs door. If you cant resolve it promptly on a friendly basis I think it’s best to block.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

It's either:

1) He's probably been rejected a lot online and got his hopes up for you, and this rejection is one in a long line and his mental health is buckling and he's breaking down

2) He is trying to manipulate you into dating him. Some aspects of 1 may or may not also be present
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads