The Student Room Group

L3 Applied Science

I've just started this course and am terrified of falling behind. I Really enjoy the biology aspect of it but i am already finding the chem and physics aspect difficult - especially titrations and equations.

it seems that this course will move along swiftly and you need to be on top of your game - trouble is 6+ months of being out of education has not helped.

how are you all coping? have you found the seneca L3 applied science helpful?

Scroll to see replies

well, i used seneca for my gcse science and i loved it, i didn't know they have btec applied science on there, so i will definitely be check it out... I went and checked it out, it look good so far.

And I would say its free, and its extra revision/practice so it wouldn't hurt to use, to revise i would use seneca, the specification, flash cards and practice questions, also always go through what you don't understand in class at home, and never EVER be afraid to ask the teacher a question.
Reply 2
Original post by dope_hana
well, i used seneca for my gcse science and i loved it, i didn't know they have btec applied science on there, so i will definitely be check it out... I went and checked it out, it look good so far.

And I would say its free, and its extra revision/practice so it wouldn't hurt to use, to revise i would use seneca, the specification, flash cards and practice questions, also always go through what you don't understand in class at home, and never EVER be afraid to ask the teacher a question.

seriously thank you so much, i'll do just that!
Hi, I can totally understand I felt the same when I started a year back. But, as I focused and worked hard I started to know things and still, I am learning even though I am in year 13 now. I would advise you if you stay updated with your work and coursework then you'll achieve good grades and make sure you ask your teachers to make checklists for each internal unit. It will save your life. Let me know if you need any help. Working and focusing hard can lead you to have distinctions overall that's how I achieved by the end of year 12. For exam units there are different resources you'll find online on tes.com and use the book for revision and you can even buy a revision guide or workbook.
Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Is your exam in January about Waves the topic in physics (unit 1)
Reply 5
Original post by manusha.12345
Hi, I can totally understand I felt the same when I started a year back. But, as I focused and worked hard I started to know things and still, I am learning even though I am in year 13 now. I would advise you if you stay updated with your work and coursework then you'll achieve good grades and make sure you ask your teachers to make checklists for each internal unit. It will save your life. Let me know if you need any help. Working and focusing hard can lead you to have distinctions overall that's how I achieved by the end of year 12. For exam units there are different resources you'll find online on tes.com and use the book for revision and you can even buy a revision guide or workbook.
Thank you

It's so nice and reassuring to have a student on the course give advice so thank you for that. I will ask for the checklist for each internal unit as I feel like I have to push for this kind of thing, not sure if they will be accomodating with it but I will try.

Can I just ask what do you mean by the internal units? the ones they will be marking as opposed to the external?

thank you again so much
Reply 6
Original post by Mr2020c
Is your exam in January about Waves the topic in physics (unit 1)

Yep that's part of it, look up on pearson the unit 1 specification on pearson, shout me if you can't find it.
Reply 7
One thing I'm confused about is that I had all the specifications ready for unit 1 and we are doing unit 8 as well? I thought we would just cover each unit chronologically so that's confused me a bit.
Original post by young.one
It's so nice and reassuring to have a student on the course give advice so thank you for that. I will ask for the checklist for each internal unit as I feel like I have to push for this kind of thing, not sure if they will be accomodating with it but I will try.

Can I just ask what do you mean by the internal units? the ones they will be marking as opposed to the external?

thank you again so much

Hi, That's really good to hear from you. Let me know for help. I will advise you that you should ask your teacher for a checklist for each unit. The internal units are where you only do course work and you'll get grades (D, M, P) based on your coursework and internal units don't involve exams. Whereas on the other hand, external units is where you'll learn exam content and by end of the year you'll do the exam; this doesn't involve coursework.

Thank You
hi my name is terglmaa i'm doing btech level 3 extended diploma at the moment i'm struggling i dont even know ionic and covalent and thatchargesand stuff
can anyone explain me full electron configuration mean :
Give the full electron configuration of an Al atom and of a Cr3+ ion.
[2 marks]
Al atom
Cr3+ ion
Reply 11
Original post by Tergelmaa
hi my name is terglmaa i'm doing btech level 3 extended diploma at the moment i'm struggling i dont even know ionic and covalent and thatchargesand stuff

Have you got Seneca and the BTEC revision book? I’ve found that they expect you to do your own research on most of it.

You still have time to go over it, be strict with yourself and use upcoming half term to catch up.
Have you got Seneca and the BTEC revision book? I’ve found that they expect you to do your own research on most of it.

You still have time to go over it, be strict with yourself and use upcoming half term to catch up.

Is the BTEC revision book helpful?
Reply 13
Original post by Aysha.ux
Is the BTEC revision book helpful?

It is helpful but go by the spec of each unit on the pearson website as a checklist to break down what you're doing, organise folders for each subject with seperated in to the units. Make sure your select the 'extended diploma level 3' spec not the others.
Hi what are you looking to apply for after Btec course if you don't mind me asking.
Original post by Tergelmaa

Hi have you applied for uni yet? i was doing AS level last year but i failed so i move to BTEC applied science but I am worried that unis might prefer a level students over btec student. Do you think that is true?
It is helpful but go by the spec of each unit on the pearson website as a checklist to break down what you're doing, organise folders for each subject with seperated in to the units. Make sure your select the 'extended diploma level 3' spec not the others.

Thank youuuu
hi, i was just wondering if the btec applied science revision book is worth buying?
Anyone doing Unit 8, assignment one?
Original post by dope_hana
hi, i was just wondering if the btec applied science revision book is worth buying?

Yes, I found them pretty useful

Quick Reply

Latest