Mlopez14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A beam of electrons is fired between a pair of parallel plates which are 2.0 cm apart. The potential difference between these plates is 4.0 kV. The electron beam is running in a direction parallel to the plates and perpendicular to a magnetic field of 0.15 T. In order for the electrons to not be deviated, they must be travelling at:
Can someone elaborate please?
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mlopez14)
A beam of electrons is fired between a pair of parallel plates which are 2.0 cm apart. The potential difference between these plates is 4.0 kV. The electron beam is running in a direction parallel to the plates and perpendicular to a magnetic field of 0.15 T. In order for the electrons to not be deviated, they must be travelling at:
Can someone elaborate please?
For the beam not to deviate, the forces due to the two fields must be equal and opposite.
You should know the formula for the force, F, on an electron due to the electric field, E. The strength, E, of that field is found from the pd and plate separation given in the question.

The formula for the force due to the magnetic field is
F=Bev
which depends on the speed, v, of the electrons. You are given the value of B in the question.

The 2 formulas together will allow you to calculate what value of v this needs to be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (77)
13.92%
I'm not sure (24)
4.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (177)
32.01%
I have already dropped out (11)
1.99%
I'm not a current university student (264)
47.74%

Watched Threads