step_aside
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am extremely bad it at, i am predicted a 5 in it, i can barely differentiate between the tenses. i fear i will fail it. How can i study french?
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! There're lots of different things that you can do to improve your French, but before I mention them I will just say that, even if I say that something should be done every day or every week or every month or whatever, don't do that if you can't manage it - do what you can and you'll improve, these are just suggestions

General:
- learn as much of the GCSE french memrise set as you can... There are about 1300 words, and the more of those you learn the easier the exams will be! Perhaps aim for 10 per day on weekdays or something like that?
Listening
- listen to music in french (let me know if you need recommendations!) And use LyrcisTraining app to practice listening out for specific words
- listen to audiobooks and podcasts for beginners. Castbox has a few such as Coffee break French, and audible has some too... Whichever all you use, you should be able to find one!
- listen to native level podcasts and audiobooks. Personally, I used to listen to audiobooks that I already knew quite well (e.g. Harry Potter) in french, so that I could focus on understanding rather than following the story.
- use Un Jour, Une Question website and YouTube vids). The clips are really short, but are designed for children so they don't use massively complex vocab. They're also very fast, so great for getting used to picking out the words you know!
With listening, never aim to understand every word, just aim (depending on how difficult to podcast or song is!) To understand a few main points. The process of listening will help you get used to the language, apart from anything else, so listening at least every week, if not a few times per week, will really help! (Even if you don't notice your improvements!)

Reading:
- find and read and children's online French newspaper. Even if you don't have time to read a whole article, try to go into the website and read a couple of story titles every day.
- read a book, if you feel you could manage it! Even if it's a children's book like The Gruffolo, or something (my first book was Non, Non et Non by Mireille d'Allance !) The process of trying to understand the story will be beneficial. There are also apps like Parallel Books which can help you practice reading in French
- occasionally put your phone into French to learn tech vocab
- try following recipes in french

Writing:
- I like to use HelloTalk (app) to practice my writing and grammar, as I can talk to native speakers who then correct me. Of course, it's a social app so you need to use privacy settings and be s bit careful, but it is useful!
- keep a diary in french and try to write one sentence every day about something that happened to you.
- use the CGP workbook to practice translation, then mark your translations are use Lawless French (website) to explain any grammar that you got wrong.

Speaking:
- talk to yourself in french, and describe what you're doing
- talk to your teacher in french whenever possible
Thebigworld
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I use Quizlet to help me.
I can speak to you, you can practise spelling and play games to help. Good luck! 🦋
willtj78
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd also recommend watching some netflix series dubbed in french (most of their originals are translated). You can then have english subtitles and french audio, or vice versa - either way works. It'll get you used to hearing/ reading french but you'll still be able to tell what's going on if you get stuck.

Good luck!
deadroseex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
Hi! There're lots of different things that you can do to improve your French, but before I mention them I will just say that, even if I say that something should be done every day or every week or every month or whatever, don't do that if you can't manage it - do what you can and you'll improve, these are just suggestions

General:
- learn as much of the GCSE french memrise set as you can... There are about 1300 words, and the more of those you learn the easier the exams will be! Perhaps aim for 10 per day on weekdays or something like that?
Listening
- listen to music in french (let me know if you need recommendations!) And use LyrcisTraining app to practice listening out for specific words
- listen to audiobooks and podcasts for beginners. Castbox has a few such as Coffee break French, and audible has some too... Whichever all you use, you should be able to find one!
- listen to native level podcasts and audiobooks. Personally, I used to listen to audiobooks that I already knew quite well (e.g. Harry Potter) in french, so that I could focus on understanding rather than following the story.
- use Un Jour, Une Question website and YouTube vids). The clips are really short, but are designed for children so they don't use massively complex vocab. They're also very fast, so great for getting used to picking out the words you know!
With listening, never aim to understand every word, just aim (depending on how difficult to podcast or song is!) To understand a few main points. The process of listening will help you get used to the language, apart from anything else, so listening at least every week, if not a few times per week, will really help! (Even if you don't notice your improvements!)

Reading:
- find and read and children's online French newspaper. Even if you don't have time to read a whole article, try to go into the website and read a couple of story titles every day.
- read a book, if you feel you could manage it! Even if it's a children's book like The Gruffolo, or something (my first book was Non, Non et Non by Mireille d'Allance !) The process of trying to understand the story will be beneficial. There are also apps like Parallel Books which can help you practice reading in French
- occasionally put your phone into French to learn tech vocab
- try following recipes in french

Writing:
- I like to use HelloTalk (app) to practice my writing and grammar, as I can talk to native speakers who then correct me. Of course, it's a social app so you need to use privacy settings and be s bit careful, but it is useful!
- keep a diary in french and try to write one sentence every day about something that happened to you.
- use the CGP workbook to practice translation, then mark your translations are use Lawless French (website) to explain any grammar that you got wrong.

Speaking:
- talk to yourself in french, and describe what you're doing
- talk to your teacher in french whenever possible
YOU HAVE JUST SAVED MY LIFE
I am pretty good at French, but now I will be even better. You are an absolute angel! Thank you so muchhh x
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/z9dqxnb
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by deadroseex)
YOU HAVE JUST SAVED MY LIFE
I am pretty good at French, but now I will be even better. You are an absolute angel! Thank you so muchhh x
I'm glad it's helpful! Let me know if you want any French music/ TV/ film/ app recommendations! x
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by willtj78)
I'd also recommend watching some netflix series dubbed in french (most of their originals are translated). You can then have english subtitles and french audio, or vice versa - either way works. It'll get you used to hearing/ reading french but you'll still be able to tell what's going on if you get stuck.

Good luck!
Such a good idea! Most Netflix shows have the option to have at least one of french audio or subtitles, and there are some great french programs on Netflix too! I love La Mante but Call my Agent is also good.
hanlouisesampson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Spend time going through the common tenses that you'll need to know, i.e. present tense, imperfect, future and perfect. Those ones especially. Study their endings with regular/irregular forms and complete as many exercises on them as you can. Also remember to learn what they're used for. I do French A level and can't remember which tenses are used in GCSE but here are the basics:

-Present tense: Used to talk about what is currently happening and what is generally true
-Future tense: Used to talk about what is going to happen in the future, future endings are added to the infinitives of regular verbs.
-Perfect tense: Used to express a past event that has present consequences, i.e. I have finished.
-Imperfect tense: Combines past tense and imperfective aspect, i.e. I was walking

If you need any more help let me know, my instagram is @hqnnzh feel free to DM me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.26%
I'm not sure (25)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (178)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (266)
47.42%

Watched Threads