The Student Room Group

Is Preference for an Ethnicity(s) Racist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ramipril
Tbh I still wouldn't ever bring this up irl. I know it can come across badly to others and at the end of they day, it's nobody else's business who I'm attracted to or dating.

Yeah, absolutely. We are on the same page.
A race is an arbitrary collection of ethnic groups largely based on their complexion.
A culture is a group of people with similar values, practices and creative domains (food, music, art, etc). Most of the time they also have a distinct language/dialect.
An ethnicity is a group of people who are genetically similar and have the same culture.

This is simplified.
Idk. I would take against someone saying this since it tries to chop society up based on ethnicity when really it's more nuanced than that.
Original post by Callicious
I'd say it's a socially acceptable form of racism, as others have said.

I don't think it has anything to do with racism at all because the definition of racism is antagonism against people of another race because of their appearance.
No it's just whatever they find attractive imo. Don't see why they would be racist
Attachment not found

I'd call it a murky word to use in this context, but I would call it a form of sexual discrimination on a personal level.

@lalalalalalamember I failed the quote >.>
Original post by lalalalalalamember
I don't think it has anything to do with racism at all because the definition of racism is antagonism against people of another race because of their appearance.

No it's not specifically antagonism. Prejudice, discrimination, stereotyping, etc. would all fall under it.
Only if you think preferring a certain hair colour is offensive to all the others. I'd argue that it's more than likely that the folks thinking it's racist are the racist ones.
Original post by Horrorhiker
Only if you think preferring a certain hair colour is offensive to all the others. I'd argue that it's more than likely that the folks thinking it's racist are the racist ones.

Not really:

A person who has brown hair prefers his/her girlfriend/boyfriend to also have brown hair because being with someone with the same hair colour helps them feel closer

wouldn't really make sense or have the same undertones.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Horrorhiker

Nobody said it was offensive. Racism doesn't require offense.
Original post by _gcx
Idk. I would take against someone saying this since it tries to chop society up based on ethnicity when really it's more nuanced than that.

(fwiw to answer the thread title rather than the OP - maybe not in itself but I'm generally at least slightly suspicious of it)
I don’t think it’s racist to want to date someone of your race because you want to relate more with them culturally however I do think it’s racist to not want to date someone because of their race especially when it comes down to how they look since it’s kind of like saying I don’t like how all people of that race look which is racist. Also when it comes to preference of dating someone of a race different to yours people are often fetishised which it’s not racist but isn’t ok either so...
Racist? Maybe: because it involves differentiating people based on their race and preferring one over the other.

Morally wrong? Imo, not at all. Many (not all) people from the same race can share physical characteristics, or cultural tendencies/ beliefs, or attitudes. And preferring that certain shared X that is common in that race should be your choice (that is assuming it is even voluntary in the first place). Just without assuming that every single person from that race shares or would share the certain tendencies and beliefs because that wouldn't really be accurate.

That is my take on it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Theloniouss
That might be true sometimes, but there are many people of all races whose culture is more or less British.

True.

Original post by Vapordave
A race is an arbitrary collection of ethnic groups largely based on their complexion.
A culture is a group of people with similar values, practices and creative domains (food, music, art, etc). Most of the time they also have a distinct language/dialect.
An ethnicity is a group of people who are genetically similar and have the same culture.

This is simplified.

Thank you!
i wouldn't say it's racist
Original post by Synergy~
Racist? Maybe: because it involves differentiating people based on their race and preferring one over the other.

Morally wrong? Imo, not at all. Many (not all) people from the same race can share physical characteristics, or cultural tendencies/ beliefs, or attitudes. And preferring that certain shared X that is common in that race should be your choice. Just without assuming that every single person from that race shares or would share the certain tendencies and beliefs because that wouldn't really be accurate.

That is my take on it.

Yeah imo saying things like "I generally find people of x race more attractive" is fine, but sometimes the justifications used are a bit murky and uncomfortable. (which is why I said suspicious above)
i’d prefer a black person since i’m black myself. leaning towards your own race isn’t racist imo, but sexualising or dehumanising another race and claiming it’s a “preference” is just racist.
Original post by Theloniouss
Nobody said it was offensive. Racism doesn't require offense.

No actual racism doesn't. I'm talking about faux outrage. People that divide others into easily manageable categories in order to display their virtue credentials.
No it's not racist
Original post by _gcx
Yeah imo saying things like "I generally find people of x race more attractive" is fine, but sometimes the justifications used are a bit murky and uncomfortable. (which is why I said suspicious above)

Yes, completely agreed. The word racism has quite a negative connotation, so I do not think it is fair that if anyone says they have a preference that the person should automatically assumed to have been motivated by prejudice and/or ignorance. But that definitely can be the case

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending