Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Is it just me who happens to now lives in an area not eligible and attend a good school so doesn’t pass the criteria but definitely is still individually disadvantaged? Oh just me? I think the criteria is generic so that individual cases are not merited
Sarvienn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you feel you are individually disadvantaged, then please do email the universities and seek their thoughts on what you can do.. Maybe you're not explicitly eligible for a contextual offer, but some universities might take extenuating circumstances into account, allowing you to maybe receive a lower offer ( lower than typical, higher than contextual maybe ) or have another solution that could neutralise your application compared to the others!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Each University uses different criteria.
Check carefully on each website.

Some use definite criteria - home postcode, school attended, in care, BAME etc
Other are much more vague.

For instance - Bristol - you know if you qualify for a lower offer before you apply : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...extual-offers/
Bath - you have no idea, they say they look at 'contextual data' but they dont give lower offers, go figure : https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/unders...te-applicants/
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Universities make contextual offers to increase the percentages of students from disadvantaged backgrounds. The percentages of state school students varies according to the university and so does the criteria. Universities like Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, Bristol and Exeter have low amounts of state school students and are more likely to make contextual offers more than Bath.

Some universities make offers based on whether the school was in the bottom 40% for results in the previous year and both Bristol and Exeter use this. Manchester and Leeds have made offers based on post code. This information may have changed in previous years. As said you need to check the individual university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (773)
42.03%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.46%

Watched Threads