What laptop do you use, how loong has it been, and how is it performance-wsie today?

Watch
TaintedLight
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
title
Alishaxo2112
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve got a MacBook Air , it’s literally amazing the graphics are great, it’s light weight, the performance is good but if u play games it overheats and glitches but I get why because it’s a working laptop but for studying it is GREATTT ❤️
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've got a hp pavillion and it's more than 3 years old so it's on it's last legs really and have got tape holding it together as the casing has cracked in a couple of places.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TaintedLight)
title
Needs editing and I swapped out my laptop for a desktop months ago, it's much better.
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
I've got a hp pavillion and it's more than 3 years old so it's on it's last legs really and have got tape holding it together as the casing has cracked in a couple of places.
Hmm, not great, though you can get a new casing for it and keep it going if it isn't completely broken (i.e. the parts inside work still), there's no need to scrap it

I've got a few devices I use for most of the time:
1) HP Pavilion 15-ac153sa (i7-4510U CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB HDD) - this works nicely for most things, but hasn't got the horsepower for gaming (CPU throttling, plus lack of graphical power). Absolutely fine, but BIOS updates over time have substantially reduced performance, as well as thermal management. Runs Windows 7 & 10 dual boot.
2) HP OMEN 15-dc0003na (i7-8750H, 32GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe + 1TB SATA SSDs, GTX 1050Ti) - great for everything, including gaming and heavy stuff. Surprisingly the battery life is as good as the HP Pavilion above, since it is a bigger battery, and with power savings mode on, it runs nicely enough to maintain a good balance between performance and power savings. Runs Windows 10.
3) HP Pavilion 15-p189na (i5-4288U, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB HDD) - this is my university laptop, for working at university. Runs Windows 10 fine and does most things fine, but not gaming (due to CPU and iGPU limitations). Will eventually upgrade to 16GB DDR3 and 512GB SSD, to improve performance further. Battery life is OK - I do have a spare battery that I can swap in as required. Runs Windows 10. Performance is fine - no BIOS updates have been installed.
4) Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (i5-4200U, 4GB soldered, 128GB mSATA) - great as a portable on-the-go machine. Performance (when plugged in to mains) is fine for most tasks. Wouldn't want to game on it due to the relatively small screen, plus a lack of CPU power, GPU power, and CPU thermal management. Battery life is good on power saving mode. 4GB RAM is just about OK for what I use it for, but I'd rather have 8GB. Sadly, the RAM is soldered - and replacing anything inside it (such as CPU thermal compound, SSD etc) requires removing (and almost certainly destroying) the screen.

Note: a lot of people on here that have seen me posting, know that I prefer more storage to faster read/write speeds, hence laptop (1) has a 2TB HDD (and has to stay like this for dual boot purposes), and laptop (2) was upgraded from its original configuration of 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD. However, for laptops that are not used as main laptops, such as (3) and (4), SSDs are fine, though still need to be decently sized - hence my plan for a 512GB, and not 256GB.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Acer Aspire R5-471T

Had it for nearly 4 yeas. Battery life is really good but the rest of it is pile of ****.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I used a Toshiba Satellite (forgot the exact model) with an i3-2350m, 8gb ram for about 7 years. Absolute garbage performance-wise today, was basically only good for web browsing and playing very old games, that's about it.

Only stopped using it a year ago when I got a 9400f + rtx 2060 pc.
AcseI
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
title
XPS 13, owned for a little over 2 years now. Still feels brand new, with the only exception being the battery. It still holds plenty of charge, but not as much as when it was new. This is to be expected though, as batteries have finite lifespans.

That said, the XPS isn't my primary device. I use my desktop more than my laptop, and the XPS only really sees a few hours use a day now.

My work laptop is an XPS 15, owned for a couple of months now. Unexpectedly, it also feels just like new.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
XPS 13 for a year. I have no complaints.
username5177602
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
title
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen(i7-8550U, 16GB of RAM, 512GB SSD), got it and like it because its stupidly light at around 1.1kgs, performs really well for what I do with it(programming, office, and Web browsing), it has really good battery life, and really like the keyboard on this thing.
Last edited by username5177602; 4 weeks ago
username5395306
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Asus FX 507 dt i think it's a ryzen 5 8gb ram rtx 1060 4 GB 500 GB ssd 17 inch laptop it's mkre of a gaming one and I use it for college and gaming lol but I've. Agot a main pc I play games on mainly
Joy L
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
acer aspire 5 15.6" ryzen 7 256ssd 8gb ram. great looking laptop and speedy too
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have a Thinkpad S540, it's been about 10 months so it works like new.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Another XPS 13 here, approximately a year old. Very happy overall, no discernible slowdown and the battery retains charge very well considering how much I hammer it, much better than laptops of a similar class that I've had from other brands.

I've also got an MSI GS63 that I'd use as my portable gaming setup while away with work, but now I'm landlocked with my desktop it doesn't see any use.
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Forgot to mention: I also have a desktop tower PC but given my circumstances, it's a bit out of the way and not ideally placed to use. It would also benefit from an SSD, and whilst Windows sees it, the BIOS doesn't recognize it as a boot device... hence it doesn't get much usage, and I often use my HP OMEN for gaming instead.
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i use a 16" macbook pro; while quite performant, the battery life is mediocre, but good enough to last about a third of a day.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
title
Dell laptop. Battery is rubbish but everything else is fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (44)
15.88%
I'm not sure (8)
2.89%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (98)
35.38%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.44%
I'm not a current university student (123)
44.4%

Watched Threads