newuser13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have a place confirmed at Loughborough uni, which I have deferred for the second time. The reason is that I have a 'great' job as an Undergraduate engineer with a Civil Engineering firm. They are paying for me to study at uni already. But, I really dislike the industry, the course is 6 years long, and I just can't see myself being a civil engineer in the future. I know after the course I could always switch to something else, but is it worth painfully going through this apprenticeship just because of no debt and being able to earn money?
twentystraveller
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by newuser13)
I have a place confirmed at Loughborough uni, which I have deferred for the second time. The reason is that I have a 'great' job as an Undergraduate engineer with a Civil Engineering firm. They are paying for me to study at uni already. But, I really dislike the industry, the course is 6 years long, and I just can't see myself being a civil engineer in the future. I know after the course I could always switch to something else, but is it worth painfully going through this apprenticeship just because of no debt and being able to earn money?
Is it possible for you to take a year off and reapply for a different degree that is more towards what you enjoy and like doing? I definitely would not recommend doing something for the sake of it, especially if you do not enjoy it one bit. If you do a degree you dislike, in the hope of switching careers at the end, personally I think this is a waste of time, 6 years is a lot in a lifetime. So taking a year off would give time for you to reassess what it is you want to do, and explore what necessary qualifications you need in order to change or redirect yourself to a different course that you will enjoy and won't waste your precious time. Hope this helps!
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What do you want to do? If you hate being a civil engineer then there's no point in you wasting time to train and become one.
jennymolin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes
Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Better to do something you enjoy.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by newuser13)
Yes, work experience!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads