15holmes.j
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm a year 12 student taking chemistry, maths and history and am currently planning on doing an archaeology degree and am looking for things to do that will help me when I come to write my personal statement later this school year.
I was wondering if anyone could give advice on places I could apply for work experience or volunteering roles in the field of archaeology and history.
I'd also appreciate any advice on other things to do (any good lectures, places to visit etc).
Thank you so much for your help
stressed0ut
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Maybe email local museums and stuff?
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
https://www.mola.org.uk/about-us
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You don't need to do work experience for any degree that isn't a clinical course (e.g. medicine, dentistry, vet med, allied health professions). Universities realise that many applicants won't even have the opportunity to undertake any relevant work experience (or indeed any at all) and so don't expect it. It is perfectly fine to just discuss your academic interests in the course (which for a lot of subjects is more or less the entirety of what you can do anyway).

For archaeology if you can find any digs to take part in as a volunteer that would be likely a very interesting experience for you, but it's not required. Likewise exploring the cultural sector (e.g. museums, archives, libraries) would be quite relevant, and again if you find any volunteer work or outreach programmes they run that you could take part in that might be up your alley. Again though, this isn't a requirement, it's not something universities are looking for, and having that kind of experience won't ameliorate poorer grades or an unfocused personal statement (and likewise you can just as well get in without having done anything in that vein).

Above all, just focus on pursuing the things you find interesting for their own sake, rather than looking for a list of things to rattle off in your PS. If something you did do, or read, relates to your academic interest in the subject, then sure you can write about it in your PS - but make sure you are writing critically about it and how it relates to your interests, and where the experience led you to other things of relevance to your proposed subject area. The PS isn't just a list of things you have done, and you want to focus on "showing" your interest through your PS, rather than using it to "tell" what you've done that may be vaguely relevant.
University of Sheffield Alumni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 15holmes.j)
I'm a year 12 student taking chemistry, maths and history and am currently planning on doing an archaeology degree and am looking for things to do that will help me when I come to write my personal statement later this school year.
I was wondering if anyone could give advice on places I could apply for work experience or volunteering roles in the field of archaeology and history.
I'd also appreciate any advice on other things to do (any good lectures, places to visit etc).
Thank you so much for your help
Hi!

I've just jumped in this thread quickly to highlight our upcoming virtual Archaeology taster session the University is holding, which is titled 'The Sheffield Castle Project'. Although these virtual sessions can't replace in-person work experience or volunteering, these are free sessions, so you have nothing to lose! The link to these is here. We also offer a virtual History taster session too (titled Britain in the 60s: A Decade of Change) if this is something you are interested in.

These sessions, as well as expanding your subject knowledge, can you give you a really interesting look at University-style teaching and they are a great thing to include in a personal statement or talk about in an interview, as they show you've done your wider research and you're really passionate about your subject.
Let me know if you have anymore questions about University-level teaching or University life at Sheffield in general! And good luck with your applications
-Ellie
15holmes.j
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni)
Hi!

I've just jumped in this thread quickly to highlight our upcoming virtual Archaeology taster session the University is holding, which is titled 'The Sheffield Castle Project'. Although these virtual sessions can't replace in-person work experience or volunteering, these are free sessions, so you have nothing to lose! The link to these is here. We also offer a virtual History taster session too (titled Britain in the 60s: A Decade of Change) if this is something you are interested in.

These sessions, as well as expanding your subject knowledge, can you give you a really interesting look at University-style teaching and they are a great thing to include in a personal statement or talk about in an interview, as they show you've done your wider research and you're really passionate about your subject.
Let me know if you have anymore questions about University-level teaching or University life at Sheffield in general! And good luck with your applications
-Ellie
Sadly I'm a year 12 student so don't think I'm eligable for this. Thank you so much though!
University of Sheffield Alumni
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 15holmes.j)
Sadly I'm a year 12 student so don't think I'm eligable for this. Thank you so much though!
Hi!

If you're interested, I'd definitely recommend filling out the form as you have nothing to lose!
We do prioritise Y13s as their university applications deadline is coming up very quickly, however if you're keen to attend I'd say fill out the form.

If not, it is likely we'll be running a similar session later in the academic year if you fancy attending then instead Taster sessions aimed at Year 12s will start running from January 15th, so maybe check back a bit later on.

- Ellie
Last edited by University of Sheffield Alumni; 3 months ago
username5399526
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Archaeologist here, contact your local commercial units (go onto Google, type in BAJR) and you can search them there and they'll probably have you pot washing or environmental sample processing but it's really worthwhile experience. Keep an eye out for fieldschools and such as well, sometimes you have to pay but sometimes they're free. If you need any help finding things give me and shout and I'll direct you. Things are odd because of Covid but commercial units are running pretty much 100% so you shouldn't find it too hard to get something.
15holmes.j
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by username5399526)
Hi Archaeologist here, contact your local commercial units (go onto Google, type in BAJR) and you can search them there and they'll probably have you pot washing or environmental sample processing but it's really worthwhile experience. Keep an eye out for fieldschools and such as well, sometimes you have to pay but sometimes they're free. If you need any help finding things give me and shout and I'll direct you. Things are odd because of Covid but commercial units are running pretty much 100% so you shouldn't find it too hard to get something.
Thank you so much! That's such a great idea I've just gone and done it!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
See if you can find a dig
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise