SS123456
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is it worth asking to move uni tutor groups? I’m dyslexic

I have some specific learning difficulties, I’m dyslexic. But I also suffer with severe anxiety. At the moment out masters is online. Anyway I joined a group that were super super talkative. They were sending so many messages I couldn’t read and process them and keep up I then couldn’t respond quick enough because someone else would reply or the convo would move on.

I’m super embarrassed. As this makes me look like I’m not interested at all but I am I just need some more time compared to others.

I contacted the tutor who did the groups and her response was try again on Monday which upset me because I was obviously struggling and they were way ahead of me ability wise. And it was a get on with it type of response.

My learning difficulty supervisor is also on holiday so never sent my report to the tutors so until I knew who my tutors were I couldn’t even email them.

I then had to speak to someone else from the disability team and tell them how overwhelming the group was for me and that they need to help me out.

I just want to move group with ability similar to mine
Is it worth me asking them to be more accommodating?
stephanieg1992
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SS123456)
Is it worth asking to move uni tutor groups? I’m dyslexic

I have some specific learning difficulties, I’m dyslexic. But I also suffer with severe anxiety. At the moment out masters is online. Anyway I joined a group that were super super talkative. They were sending so many messages I couldn’t read and process them and keep up I then couldn’t respond quick enough because someone else would reply or the convo would move on.

I’m super embarrassed. As this makes me look like I’m not interested at all but I am I just need some more time compared to others.

I contacted the tutor who did the groups and her response was try again on Monday which upset me because I was obviously struggling and they were way ahead of me ability wise. And it was a get on with it type of response.

My learning difficulty supervisor is also on holiday so never sent my report to the tutors so until I knew who my tutors were I couldn’t even email them.

I then had to speak to someone else from the disability team and tell them how overwhelming the group was for me and that they need to help me out.

I just want to move group with ability similar to mine
Is it worth me asking them to be more accommodating?
Is there someone in your group who's nice and approachable that you think might be understanding? You could message them privately and say everything's a bit overwhelming or you've been a bit busy, would they mind catching you up on what you've missed? Or if you're willing- to even admit that you're struggling with the pace of the conversation and would they mind being your point of contact if you fall behind the conversation? If someone from my group did this, I'd be happy to accommodate!

I have had pretty severe anxiety in the past- and still suffer from it, just not so badly- so I can totally understand your reluctance to do the above- in that case, wait until Monday and speak to your tutor or the disability team again. It's good that you're recognising the difficulties already and the sooner you tackle them, the sooner they'll be sorted. Good luck!

edit: just to add, I don't think moving groups will do much as these groups tend to be very fast moving (the one I'm in is like this too) and there will be a mix of abilities, I would imagine, so you could just encounter the exact same problem if you move groups tbh.
Last edited by stephanieg1992; 4 weeks ago
SS123456
Rep:
?
(Original post by stephanieg1992)
Is there someone in your group who's nice and approachable that you think might be understanding? You could message them privately and say everything's a bit overwhelming or you've been a bit busy, would they mind catching you up on what you've missed? Or if you're willing- to even admit that you're struggling with the pace of the conversation and would they mind being your point of contact if you fall behind the conversation? If someone from my group did this, I'd be happy to accommodate!

I have had pretty severe anxiety in the past- and still suffer from it, just not so badly- so I can totally understand your reluctance to do the above- in that case, wait until Monday and speak to your tutor or the disability team again. It's good that you're recognising the difficulties already and the sooner you tackle them, the sooner they'll be sorted. Good luck!
I find them really all the same. They’re all really loud they made a group chat that they all talked in so much I left my phone at dinner and there was 100 notifications on return.

My anxiety is pretty severe and I’m too scared to say. I feel like it could be a silly thing to move groups.but when I asked my tutor she had a get on with it kind of attitude
stephanieg1992
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I find them really all the same. They’re all really loud they made a group chat that they all talked in so much I left my phone at dinner and there was 100 notifications on return.

My anxiety is pretty severe and I’m too scared to say. I feel like it could be a silly thing to move groups.but when I asked my tutor she had a get on with it kind of attitude
Yeah, definitely get in touch with someone who can help. I'd probably recommend someone from the disability team as they're more 'on your side'- a tutor isn't necessarily going to be very sympathetic (though many are, obviously) because they've not been trained. Obviously, once your disability link tutor is back, get in touch with her (is there no contact for her office if she's out? Like an assistant or something, that could be helpful?)

As I said above in the edit, I've found these groups can be very fast moving in general; the people who use them the most tend to be the loudest and most confident and it can be overwhelming even without dyslexia or anything like that. Moving groups wouldn't necessarily help- unless you have some kind of friendship group already that would make you feel comfortable, or there's a group you already know would be less full-on for you. If you move groups without this kind of knowledge, you could well end up in the same situation.

Also, I'll just say because they're very chatty and seem to know what they're talking about- doesn't necessarily mean they do. A lot of it can be bluster, so don't think you're less able just because you're not as confident or quick as they are.
SS123456
Rep:
?
(Original post by stephanieg1992)
Yeah, definitely get in touch with someone who can help. I'd probably recommend someone from the disability team as they're more 'on your side'- a tutor isn't necessarily going to be very sympathetic (though many are, obviously) because they've not been trained. Obviously, once your disability link tutor is back, get in touch with her (is there no contact for her office if she's out? Like an assistant or something, that could be helpful?)

As I said above in the edit, I've found these groups can be very fast moving in general; the people who use them the most tend to be the loudest and most confident and it can be overwhelming even without dyslexia or anything like that. Moving groups wouldn't necessarily help- unless you have some kind of friendship group already that would make you feel comfortable, or there's a group you already know would be less full-on for you. If you move groups without this kind of knowledge, you could well end up in the same situation.

Also, I'll just say because they're very chatty and seem to know what they're talking about- doesn't necessarily mean they do. A lot of it can be bluster, so don't think you're less able just because you're not as confident or quick as they are.
Thankyou for this. Yeah I sent some messages out to the disability teams to help me. Hoping I could be in a group with less people or maybe even people who are less full on I dot know. I didn’t mine the other of my other groups on the second day just this particular one wasnt sitting right with me.

My issue is the problem is I know I just try to avoid things if I get scared and anxious and I am.

Thankyou for you help though
stephanieg1992
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thankyou for this. Yeah I sent some messages out to the disability teams to help me. Hoping I could be in a group with less people or maybe even people who are less full on I dot know. I didn’t mine the other of my other groups on the second day just this particular one wasnt sitting right with me.

My issue is the problem is I know I just try to avoid things if I get scared and anxious and I am.

Thankyou for you help though
You're welcome. I know exactly how you feel. And I know you already know this- but don't avoid things if at all possible (I know anxiety makes things feel impossible). It only makes things, and your anxiety in the longer term, worse. I know from dire personal experience. The fact that you've been so proactive and reached out to the team so early on when you realised you're having issues- well done!! When my anxiety was really bad a couple of years ago, I could not have done that, so you're doing really well with it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (61)
15.37%
I'm not sure (14)
3.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (134)
33.75%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.51%
I'm not a current university student (182)
45.84%

Watched Threads