The Student Room Group

Puzzle question

Please refer to the attachment.
Any tips on how I can speed up for this question.
I got it right but I guessed and when I tried doing it properly I took really long to get to the answer.

One thing that I noticed is that Ben could not be Mr Hill but that leaves 3 other options.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by As.1997
I got it right but I guessed and when I tried doing it properly I took really long to get to the answer.

One thing that I noticed is that Ben could not be Mr Hill but that leaves 3 other options.

Looking at the spread of answers given by others, I suspect most people gave up on the question and just guessed randomly. And to be honest, unless I had a lot of time, I'd do the same.
Original post by As.1997

You might find it helps to use a logic puzzle grid, but I think these problems are always tricky.
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
You might find it helps to use a logic puzzle grid, but I think these problems are always tricky.

I tried this but also gave up on it as it became even more confusing because there are 4 variables in total and there are lots of things that need to be kept track of.
I think I'll skip this type unless it is 3 or fewer variables involved.
Regardless, thanks for the info!
Original post by As.1997
I tried this but also gave up on it as it became even more confusing because there are 4 variables in total and there are lots of things that need to be kept track of.
I think I'll skip this type unless it is 3 or fewer variables involved.
Regardless, thanks for the info!

In case it's any use to you, this is the table I drew up:

Untitled.jpg

I added the number of valid entries to the tops of the columns (3 for piano, etc ) and worked through the statements repeatedly adding a little each time. Tick for a valid combination, X for an invalid one, etc. with regard to the instrument part.

There's no requirement to keep track of loads of information in your head.

There's no way I'd do it in 2 1/2 minutes though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ghostwalker
In case it's any use to you, this is the table I drew up:

Untitled.jpg

I added the number of valid entries to the tops of the columns (3 for piano, etc ) and worked through the statements repeatedly adding a little each time. Tick for a valid combination, X for an invalid one, etc. with regard to the instrument part.

There's no requirement to keep track of loads of information in your head.

There's no way I'd do it in 2 1/2 minutes though.

This table looks pretty neat, will use it to redo the question. Thank you for the template!

Quick Reply

Latest