Psychology and Economics (personal statement) at st andrews

Watch
ka1ks0w
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to study financial econ at St Andrew's next academic year, but after quite a bit of thinking, I realized that id much rather study Psychology and Economics at the university.

It's quite rare to have that combination in a university that is as highly regarded as St Andrews, and I enjoy both economics and psychology as well, but I didn't mention any psychology in my personal statement.

I don't think I can afford writing about psychology because then I'd either need to delete a lot of my extracurricular stuff or completely reform my statement - making it vaguer in the process (all my other options are under policymaking and economics). I know I can relate psychology and economics in my personal statement but I don't know if it will make me a more attractive candidate for my other choices.

Even with my predicted grades, choosing financial econ would still be a very big gamble due to how competitive the uni is. I enjoy psychology a lot and I personally use it's approach when researching economics, that's why I'm really keen on picking it as a choice.

Do students who apply to this course write about both psychology and economics, or just focus on economics and hope for the best?

thanks for reading
JGoosey2002
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ka1ks0w)
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to study financial econ at St Andrew's next academic year, but after quite a bit of thinking, I realized that id much rather study Psychology and Economics at the university.

It's quite rare to have that combination in a university that is as highly regarded as St Andrews, and I enjoy both economics and psychology as well, but I didn't mention any psychology in my personal statement.

I don't think I can afford writing about psychology because then I'd either need to delete a lot of my extracurricular stuff or completely reform my statement - making it vaguer in the process (all my other options are under policymaking and economics). I know I can relate psychology and economics in my personal statement but I don't know if it will make me a more attractive candidate for my other choices.

Even with my predicted grades, choosing financial econ would still be a very big gamble due to how competitive the uni is. I enjoy psychology a lot and I personally use it's approach when researching economics, that's why I'm really keen on picking it as a choice.

Do students who apply to this course write about both psychology and economics, or just focus on economics and hope for the best?

thanks for reading
Do you study psychology at a level? If so, that’s an easy way to get it in without making it obvious to ur other unis
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
People won't really talk about psychology unless they are applying for psychology degree choices, so it will look unusual to any unis where you aren't applying for psychology-related courses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (90)
14%
I'm not sure (30)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (204)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.18%
I'm not a current university student (305)
47.43%

Watched Threads