Edexcel English Literature Course work A Level

Watch
megems123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For my course work our teacher has told us to find our own book to compare to The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald but I am really stuck on what book to compare it to- there is so much choice. However, I did Macbeth at GCSE and I have thought of quite a few comparison points. Would it be allowed to compare Macbeth to The Great Gatsby? The theme I was thinking of is Ambition/ Desire and wonder.
charlieday1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You would have to check cos there’s certain books that are prohibited by exam boards. You might want to ask your teacher if it’s okay to use Macbeth. I know in my school, they discourage using gcse texts but That might just be a rule in our school so I’d definitely ask
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by megems123)
For my course work our teacher has told us to find our own book to compare to The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald but I am really stuck on what book to compare it to- there is so much choice. However, I did Macbeth at GCSE and I have thought of quite a few comparison points. Would it be allowed to compare Macbeth to The Great Gatsby? The theme I was thinking of is Ambition/ Desire and wonder.
Might seem a bit from left field but I actually think that Gatsby would compare quite well with The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro - in terms of both ambition and desire. While Gatsby is garish and desperate in his pursuit of wealth (but really as a means to love), Stevens' ambition is a lot more muted and confined, but not any weaker for that. And while Gatsby pretty much lives for who he believes to be his 'one true love', Daisy, Stevens in his own way also grows to see Miss Kenton as the primary (if not sole) motivation for living (his love for Lord Darlington, his master of more than 30 years, is also passionate, albeit in a deferential way), but the two characters are probably polar opposites when it comes to expressing their desire / ambitions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.37%
I'm not sure (32)
4.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
31.06%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (374)
49.02%

Watched Threads