Can i buy a camera from Amazon, use it and return it?

Watch
Silver Arrow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am going to an event on the 26th and i need a full frame to take some cool looking photos with it. It is slightly unethical to do this, hence why i'm asking but i do not wish to spend £2000 + on a camera that will see little use during a global pandemic. Would amazon accept a return if i did this? They're usually quite liberal when it comes to things like this.
tommy988
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Silver Arrow)
I am going to an event on the 26th and i need a full frame to take some cool looking photos with it. It is slightly unethical to do this, hence why i'm asking but i do not wish to spend £2000 + on a camera that will see little use during a global pandemic. Would amazon accept a return if i did this? They're usually quite liberal when it comes to things like this.
obviously not, they can tell if you open it/ start up a camera
AcseI
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They might, they might not. A better idea, from both an ethical and a reliability perspective would be to just pay for a days rent on a camera. There's plenty of rental services you can use.
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's more ethical to rent a camera from Wex or another local outlet, but if you do need to do it, it's doable. It'd cost a bit for a few days, but it's better than risking not being able to return the camera/etc.

Amazon will take any return that they can get their hands on, original packaging or not.

However, you get into murky waters as the price point goes up. Amazon won't bother checking every £20, £50 or even £100 item. However when you get to the £2,000 items as described, resale value becomes an issue, and if they do find the item is not in resalable condition and doesn't have any defects as described, you'd face fees to pay the "cost" to sell it at a lower market price.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It would be dishonest.

What kind of event is this?
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Callicious)
It's more ethical to rent a camera from Wex or another local outlet, but if you do need to do it, it's doable. It'd cost a bit for a few days, but it's better than risking not being able to return the camera/etc.

Amazon will take any return that they can get their hands on, original packaging or not.

However, you get into murky waters as the price point goes up. Amazon won't bother checking every £20, £50 or even £100 item. However when you get to the £2,000 items as described, resale value becomes an issue, and if they do find the item is not in resalable condition and doesn't have any defects as described, you'd face fees to pay the "cost" to sell it at a lower market price.
Also, further to this, it's possible to check the actuation count on any RAW that pops out of that camera. Cameras have a few test shots fired normally, but if you take any notable amount, then it's possible to check. They might check, I doubt it, but you never know. If a retailer gets the camera back from Amazon (even if Amazon fulfilled, I'm quite sure they will) and they check the actuation and condition of the camera/packaging, you might be in for it.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Places offer proffesional cameras to rent for this very purpose
josie71202
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got a decent second hand one for my coursework off eBay for £55
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you? Probably.
Should you? No.
Silver Arrow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by josie71202)
I got a decent second hand one for my coursework off eBay for £55
Was it a full frame one though?
josie71202
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Was it a full frame one though?
think so but they're fairly cheap
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

too risky imo.

They might, they might not, but if they don't you are left with a £2 camera you don't really have much use for.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.61%
I'm not sure (54)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (345)
29.31%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.97%
I'm not a current university student (571)
48.51%

Watched Threads