csap29
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, would really appreciate some opinions.

Currently studying BSc Zoology, about to go into my third year. Alongside studying full time I run a dog training business, running puppy classes and doing private sessions for behavioural issues. I have qualifications in this already and I'm also currently working through additional courses in dog behaviour and training to boost my knowledge further.

I'm also super into wildlife photography and am out filming when I can; I make short wildlife films and to have a career in this field is my long term aim.

As well as that, I am really keen on insects. My dissertation will be on insect ecology (haven't got an exact topic yet, thanks covid).

As I'm heading into my third year I am having a serious think about my options when I graduate. The long term goal is to do a master's in wildlife filmmaking in Bristol, but the course I am looking at is incredibly competitive and having looked at their current students, I would like to wait a few years before applying so I can really build up my portfolio of work and gain some experience beforehand. This can be done alongside whatever else I do so won't become a full time occupation for a while yet!

The two options I am considering for next year are either:

- Relying on my dog training business as it is (i.e. with the qualifications I already have) and using that to support me financially while I gain some experience in the field of conservation / ecology, knowing that this may well be voluntary work to begin with

- Alternatively, I've been looking at doing a master's in animal behaviour and welfare. This would give my business a boost and may open some doors for me in terms of services I offer. However I know full well I would not like to train dogs for the rest of my life, so the boost it would give me would be somewhat temporary (next ten years at most) while I work on attaining a job in wildlife filmmaking. On the flip side of that, the degree would not all be about dogs, so learning about animal behaviour could give me a huge boost in other areas, I could still focus on insect behaviour if I really wanted to, and what I learn may well be applicable when I make films

I don't know if it would look bad to have two master's - I've seen some forums where people say it makes you look indecisive. The added cost is also not something I can take lightly, especially with everything being so uncertain at the moment.

What are people's thoughts? Sorry for the essay, I didn't mean to write this much but figured I should give some context to save getting comments that don't necessarily apply to my situation.

Thanks in advance
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by csap29)

Currently studying BSc Zoology, about to go into my third year. Alongside studying full time I run a dog training business, running puppy classes and doing private sessions for behavioural issues. I have qualifications in this already and I'm also currently working through additional courses in dog behaviour and training to boost my knowledge further.

I'm also super into wildlife photography and am out filming when I can; I make short wildlife films and to have a career in this field is my long term aim.

As well as that, I am really keen on insects. My dissertation will be on insect ecology (haven't got an exact topic yet, thanks covid).

As I'm heading into my third year I am having a serious think about my options when I graduate. The long term goal is to do a master's in wildlife filmmaking in Bristol, but the course I am looking at is incredibly competitive and having looked at their current students, I would like to wait a few years before applying so I can really build up my portfolio of work and gain some experience beforehand. This can be done alongside whatever else I do so won't become a full time occupation for a while yet!

- Relying on my dog training business as it is (i.e. with the qualifications I already have) and using that to support me financially while I gain some experience in the field of conservation / ecology, knowing that this may well be voluntary work to begin with

- Alternatively, I've been looking at doing a master's in animal behaviour and welfare. This would give my business a boost and may open some doors for me in terms of services I offer. However I know full well I would not like to train dogs for the rest of my life, so the boost it would give me would be somewhat temporary (next ten years at most) while I work on attaining a job in wildlife filmmaking. On the flip side of that, the degree would not all be about dogs, so learning about animal behaviour could give me a huge boost in other areas, I could still focus on insect behaviour if I really wanted to, and what I learn may well be applicable when I make films

I don't know if it would look bad to have two master's - I've seen some forums where people say it makes you look indecisive. The added cost is also not something I can take lightly, especially with everything being so uncertain at the moment.

What are people's thoughts? Sorry for the essay, I didn't mean to write this much but figured I should give some context to save getting comments that don't necessarily apply to my situation.

Thanks in advance
Have you considered the financial implications of doing two masters degrees? You can only get the postgraduate loan for the first one, and any subsequent degrees you'd have to fund yourself.
csap29
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Yeah this is definitely something I need to look into more. The animal behaviour one is way cheaper so I'd maybe try to self fund that one, but I don't know how it would then work if I tried to get funding for the second one after completing it
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah this is definitely something I need to look into more. The animal behaviour one is way cheaper so I'd maybe try to self fund that one, but I don't know how it would then work if I tried to get funding for the second one after completing it
You wouldn't get funding for a second postgrad degree (as you'd already hold an equivalent qualification) unless you get research council funding for a 1+3 situation (i.e. a masters and PhD combo of funding).
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks in advance
I wouldn't spend that much money to finesse one role when you still have a further qualification to get int he future and you have other options. Do some research into environmental consulting - there are standalone companies and then many of the environmental charities gain income by doing survey projects etc. Every new road, housing estate, factory etc has to do an environmental survey in order to get planning permission, so endless staff are needed to go out and count newts and bats etc. There's a steady demand, and while there is building, there will be surveys. It's project work and I'm not sure how it will fit in with the dog training, but its a income source that adds value to a future career, connections, opportunities etc.

Basically earn to develop rather than spend to develop.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (54)
15.61%
I'm not sure (8)
2.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
35.26%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.73%
I'm not a current university student (156)
45.09%

Watched Threads