The Student Room Group

Im so depressed

IM SO DEPRESSED AND TIRED I don't know what to do anymore with myself actually.
This year I planned to do A level Biology, Chemistry and physics in just under 1 year and do my gcse maths and English in the same year so that I would go straight of to uni in 2021.i am also self studying and now the deadline for the ucas application is October 15and I don't have a reference or predicted grades and even If i found a referrence I dont have any gcse result.I have and equivalent of gcse but I only got 5 Cs and 2 Ds. Bearing in mind that I did it a year early in Ghana.I really want and NEED to go to uni next year PLEASE HELP ME.Does anyone have and advice for me please. Im really scared and DEPRESSED.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
This year I planned to do A level Biology, Chemistry and physics in just under 1 year and do my gcse maths and English in the same year so that I would go straight of to uni in 2021.i am also self studying and now the deadline for the ucas application is October 15and I don't have a reference or predicted grades and even If i found a referrence I dont have any gcse result.I have and equivalent of gcse but I only got 5 Cs and 2 Ds. Bearing in mind that I did it a year early in Ghana.I really want and NEED to go to uni next year PLEASE HELP ME.Does anyone have and advice for me please. Im really scared and DEPRESSED.

Right, so let us establish a plan.

Qualifications to take in 2020-2021:
- A-level Biology
- A-level Chemistry
- A-level Physics
- GCSE English
- GCSE Maths

University application:
- UCAS reference
- UCAS personal statement
- UCAS predicted grades

The deadline for UCAS applications is 15 January. It is only October 15 if you wish to apply to Oxbridge, or if you wish to study medicine. Please explain your situation further, and by that, I mean what degree you wish to do, as well as what universities you wish to apply to. We can move on from there.
Reply 2
Original post by onceuponatime1
Right, so let us establish a plan.

Qualifications to take in 2020-2021:
- A-level Biology
- A-level Chemistry
- A-level Physics
- GCSE English
- GCSE Maths

University application:
- UCAS reference
- UCAS personal statement
- UCAS predicted grades

The deadline for UCAS applications is 15 January. It is only October 15 if you wish to apply to Oxbridge, or if you wish to study medicine. Please explain your situation further, and by that, I mean what degree you wish to do, as well as what universities you wish to apply to. We can move on from there.

Medicine
Medicine

Right. Medicine is extremely competitive, and so a lot of students would already have good GCSEs, and that being completed during their time at secondary school. If you wish to study Medicine, you need amazing GCSEs, the correct predicted grades, a good entry test score and also a solid personal statement, just to be accepted for an interview. After an interview, only then do you receive an offer.

In 2020-2021, you would have to complete 3 A-levels, 2 GCSEs, 2 entry exams for medicine (UCAT and BMAT), a personal statement, interviews from university and also the correct grades in the end. A lot of medical schools do look at GCSEs, but if your UCAT or BMAT score is very high, and your predicted grades are fine, then there is a chance they will accept you for an interview. However, there is no guarantee on how the interview will go.

If I were you, I would look at the situation and say it is not feasible to do all of this in one year. It will simply be too demanding. You have too many things going on to the point where you will constantly be thinking about one thing or another. In fact, there are too many elements in your situation that could go wrong. Do you have any other degrees you would like to do? I would simply just do the GCSEs and A-levels, and take the UCAS application easy so that the deadline is 15 January. Apply for a different course. I assume you have not restricted your career options to just medicine, because if you have, then that is extremely reckless of you.

Let me know what you think, and then I can advise you further from that.
Reply 4
Thanks so much!!!! :smile::smile: Your a life saver .Yeah I have restricted my career options to just medicine If anything else probably Nursing. Im actually taking my Ucat exam on Monday and thinking about taking the Bmat exam but Im just worried about getting my predicted grades and the fact that I don't have Gcse in time for the deadline.Im so scared!!!

Right. Medicine is extremely competitive, and so a lot of students would already have good GCSEs, and that being completed during their time at secondary school. If you wish to study Medicine, you need amazing GCSEs, the correct predicted grades, a good entry test score and also a solid personal statement, just to be accepted for an interview. After an interview, only then do you receive an offer.

In 2020-2021, you would have to complete 3 A-levels, 2 GCSEs, 2 entry exams for medicine (UCAT and BMAT), a personal statement, interviews from university and also the correct grades in the end. A lot of medical schools do look at GCSEs, but if your UCAT or BMAT score is very high, and your predicted grades are fine, then there is a chance they will accept you for an interview. However, there is no guarantee on how the interview will go.

If I were you, I would look at the situation and say it is not feasible to do all of this in one year. It will simply be too demanding. You have too many things going on to the point where you will constantly be thinking about one thing or another. In fact, there are too many elements in your situation that could go wrong. Do you have any other degrees you would like to do? I would simply just do the GCSEs and A-levels, and take the UCAS application easy so that the deadline is 15 January. Apply for a different course. I assume you have not restricted your career options to just medicine, because if you have, then that is extremely reckless of you.

Thanks so much!!!! :smile::smile: Your a life saver .Yeah I have restricted my career options to just medicine If anything else probably Nursing. Im actually taking my Ucat exam on Monday and thinking about taking the Bmat exam but Im just worried about getting my predicted grades and the fact that I don't have Gcse in time for the deadline.Im so scared!!!

Do not worry. If you feel stressed, feel free to message. Do not be scared.
Reply 6
Does any one have advice on what I should do???
Does any one have advice on what I should do???

You’re not going to do all of that in one year without destroying your mental health and still being unsuccessful. Maybe consider taking a gap year or re-doing year 12 so that you don’t have to take too many exams this academic year
Reply 8
Original post by Panjsuce
You’re not going to do all of that in one year without destroying your mental health and still being unsuccessful. Maybe consider taking a gap year or re-doing year 12 so that you don’t have to take too many exams this academic year

Thats not really an option for me right now though
Reply 9

But then again what about my predicted scores how do i get that in time

This may not be ideal but have you thought about going into like a Biomedical degree or other degree related to medicine that is not medicine? After doing one of these, you could go on to doing postgraduate medicine and your entry will be much more based on your degree qualification than your a levels and gcses. It is a longer root but a root nonetheless if you really want to go into medicine.
(edited 3 years ago)
Thats not really an option for me right now though

Why not? This currently doesn’t seem feasible, especially as you’ve mentioned you are self-studying. Can we have more context? What are your alternatives?
Original post by aquanonymous
This may not be ideal but have you thought about going into like a Biomedical degree or other degree related to medicine that is not medicine? After doing one of these, you could go on to doing postgraduate medicine and your entry will be much more based on your degree qualification than your a levels and gcses. It is a longer root but a root nonetheless if you really want to go into medicine. And deadline would be Jan 15th.

Biomedical?Nah that's not for me really.
No the deadline Is actually october 15 if its medicine or science related
I really need help I dont know what to do please!!!

My bad, it is Oct 15th

Defo a troll
Defo a troll

Why.......
Defo a troll

or someone seriously unrealistic
Original post by harrysbar

How am I a troll
You aren’t “depressed” because you’ve given yourself unrealistic goals. To be a good doctor you need to be able to manage your time and set achievable goals and right now you just sound whingy and stubborn. Take a gap year or do something else.
Original post by harrysbar

sorry your the actual troll

Quick Reply

Latest