The Student Room Group

Student finance, universal credit and childcare

Hi I was wondering is someone could help as I can’t find the answer anywhere and it’s driving me mad!

So I’m thinking about going to university as a mature student. I live with my partner and two children and we currently get some help with universal credit as I am not working for now.

I’m pretty sure that if I was to go to university, I wouldn’t get any childcare or learning grant because my partner earns £27k a year. Looking online, what I would get is £8700 maintenance loan.

Now I know that my maintenance loan will be split across any assessment periods in an academic year (normally 8 or 9) and that amount will be deducted from a joint claim of universal credit each month. What I want to know is am I still able to submit childcare costs as I would if I was working? I’ve never had to submit childcare costs but I understand it’s providing evidence of invoice and bank statement each month and universal credit will issue a payment back according to our joint income and maintenance.

I hope that makes sense but I’m trying to make an informed decision about what to do. I can’t go to university without childcare and I can’t afford childcare on £8700 a year maintenance loan.

Please help.
Original post by Scoliogirl
Hi I was wondering is someone could help as I can’t find the answer anywhere and it’s driving me mad!

So I’m thinking about going to university as a mature student. I live with my partner and two children and we currently get some help with universal credit as I am not working for now.

I’m pretty sure that if I was to go to university, I wouldn’t get any childcare or learning grant because my partner earns £27k a year. Looking online, what I would get is £8700 maintenance loan.

Now I know that my maintenance loan will be split across any assessment periods in an academic year (normally 8 or 9) and that amount will be deducted from a joint claim of universal credit each month. What I want to know is am I still able to submit childcare costs as I would if I was working? I’ve never had to submit childcare costs but I understand it’s providing evidence of invoice and bank statement each month and universal credit will issue a payment back according to our joint income and maintenance.

I hope that makes sense but I’m trying to make an informed decision about what to do. I can’t go to university without childcare and I can’t afford childcare on £8700 a year maintenance loan.

Please help.

Hi, we advise you to speak with universal credit regarding this as it wouldn't be our funding.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending