Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
i’m applying for a course at the Uni of Exeter’s Penryn campus, and because it’s the smaller of the two main campuses a lot of the information online and on TSR applies to Streatham! was wondering if Penryn has a similar vibe to Streatham because I’ve heard in Exeter there’s a lot of posh private school people and I’m from a working class state school area in West Yorkshire... i don’t mind at all going to uni with those kind of people (would probably be an interesting experience!) but just wondered if there are as many at Penryn. anyone who has an idea i’d be grateful!
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Three
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there,

I graduated from the Penryn campus two years ago and now work there. The campuses are different and one of the main reasons I chose the Penryn campus was because it is a smaller campus and with a great community which you really feel part of. It seemed to attract like-minded individuals from a myriad of backgrounds. I think most of us were there because for us a big city university wasn't what we were looking for and a smaller campus suited us. I love the natural environment so all the great outdoor opportunities was a draw for me. I'm from a similar background by the sounds of it to you and I felt at home. I had flat mates from all corners of the UK as well as international students from Mexico and Fiji. I would take a look at the Student Life films for each campus and get a feel as to where you can see yourself. The course is an important consideration but wanting to spend the next three years of your life in that location is too.

All the best,
Liz

Student Recruitment
University of Exeter
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Penryn is tiny and a long way from anywhere. It might be for you, but I would 1000% make sure you visit before you commit.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Three)
Hi there,

I graduated from the Penryn campus two years ago and now work there. The campuses are different and one of the main reasons I chose the Penryn campus was because it is a smaller campus and with a great community which you really feel part of. It seemed to attract like-minded individuals from a myriad of backgrounds. I think most of us were there because for us a big city university wasn't what we were looking for and a smaller campus suited us. I love the natural environment so all the great outdoor opportunities was a draw for me. I'm from a similar background by the sounds of it to you and I felt at home. I had flat mates from all corners of the UK as well as international students from Mexico and Fiji. I would take a look at the Student Life films for each campus and get a feel as to where you can see yourself. The course is an important consideration but wanting to spend the next three years of your life in that location is too.

All the best,
Liz

Student Recruitment
University of Exeter
That sounds ideal! I've watched pretty much every video on YouTube I can find on the campus and it's the perfect addition to the course which I love too. Just wanted to make sure the community was as welcoming as I sounded from people who've been there and know it well. This is just what I needed - thanks!
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
Penryn is tiny and a long way from anywhere. It might be for you, but I would 1000% make sure you visit before you commit.
I really want to visit and its the last thing I would need to do to make sure it would be my firm choice - unfortunately because of COVID the open days are all online (and I'm booked in for the next one). Also I live really far away so the trip would need planning out properly and probably done as part of a holiday. So overall there's a fair chance I may not get there before application which is a gamble I'm reluctant to take since (like you said) it's a small campus far from anywhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (45)
15.85%
I'm not sure (8)
2.82%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
35.21%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.41%
I'm not a current university student (127)
44.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed