Mustafa2021
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey I will be doing my a levels later and am wondering if it would be better to do three or four subjects.
I want to do biology maths chemistry and maybe physics and then after a levels I would like to apply for a degree in medicine. Would it be if it me in any way at all even a small advantage to do physics than someone who was applying for the same degree but did not do physics. And in general is it a good idea?

Thanks
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, I’d say it’s a bad idea. It would disadvantage you in fact as you will only receive a 3 grade conditional offer, which will be harder to meet if you’re spreading your resources over 4 instead of 3 subjects. You will need especially good grades for medicine so it is much better to get 3 As/A*s than 4 slightly lower grades. Physics is considered to be a very difficult A level as well and would be very time consuming
hajima
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
I would recommend you start with 4 A Levels in year 12 and see if you enjoy it - the best reason to do 4 A Levels is because you really like them all, not because it'll give you an advantage during admissions (it won't). Don't worry about the workload in year 12, it won't be anything you can't handle but don't be afraid to drop down to 3 if you feel like you're struggling or aren't loving them all.

Also, if you get halfway through year 12 and decide you don't want to do 4 full A Levels, you can always just take an AS in Physics at the end of year 12 so you don't waste the work you've done - this is quite a common route to take.
Last edited by hajima; 1 month ago
17chloe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
physics is not beneficial at all when applying to medicine and might (and will) hinder your potential in achieving good grades in biology and chemistry, which are the essentials for the course. id strongly advise against it
Last edited by 17chloe; 1 month ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mustafa2021)
Hey I will be doing my a levels later and am wondering if it would be better to do three or four subjects.
I want to do biology maths chemistry and maybe physics and then after a levels I would like to apply for a degree in medicine. Would it be if it me in any way at all even a small advantage to do physics than someone who was applying for the same degree but did not do physics. And in general is it a good idea?

Thanks
Hey Mustafa2021!

Most students only take 3 A-levels now and your offer for medicine will be based on grades achieved for 3 A-levels
I would say only go for 3 and focus really hard on those so you can get the top grades
It will be easier studying 3 A-levels than 4!

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thanks
Doing 4 A levels will not give you an advantage whatsoever. The universities literally ignore extra A levels after 3. It won't look impressive on your application and it won't help you stand out.
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The biggest advantage of 4 A levels is you can drop one if you don’t like it, or aren’t good at it. It also leaves your options more open if you’re not sure what you want to do.
For medicine you need good grades in all of your subjects. Are you sure you will be good at bio, chemistry and Maths? You can drop physics after a couple of months once you’re sure about your subject choices.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would only consider four A levels if you're doing Maths and Further Maths. Otherwise, you're just risking the grades on your best three, which is what almost all university offers will be on.
stillcrying
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're set on studying medicine, then I suggest only taking 3 as biology, chemistry and maths are the best 3 to take for medicine. Physics won't aid in your application and it will only make your life harder studding another very difficult and time-consuming subject. The friends I knew who did 4 in their first year (all very intelligent) dropped one going into the second as they found it too much and they'd rather just get higher grades in the 3 relevant to their course than gain another qualification. Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads