Who remembers Merlin the tv series?

Watch
Bvbfan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm currently watching merlin the bbc series on netlfix, this is my third run through of the series. The first time being when it was coming out. (I remember like yesterday watching merlin at 8 oclock every saturday at 8pm, the good ol' days) anyway, something I have only just realised - I dont know why this didnt occur to me before- is that a common theme throughout the series is for us to be introduced to a character, and then never to see that character again despite them not dying. There are quite a few examples over the seasons, but the two most significant ones for me are;
Alvarr - the druid from series 2 who introduces morgana to magic and seemingly develops a romantic connection with her. He gets sentenced to death by Uther, morgana helps him escape and then he is never seen again despite being heavily involved with mordred.

Tristan - the smuggler who appears at the end of series 4, at first he despises arthur but soon respects him and agrees to fight for him. His wife dies but he survives. Literally the last shot of him is with a sword in his hand stand standing beside arthur. There is no indication whatsoever as to what happens to him. Its easy to just forget about him in series 5 as he isnt referenced to at all. But it seems odd, because he was a unique character and showed clear growth throughout the episode, it just feels a bit underwhelming for him to have this big realisation and newfound motivation to fight for arthur but it to only end with one quick battle where he fights 3 people.

Anyone ever realised this, please say im not the only one who still remembers merlin.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I remember Merlin, it was one of my favourite CBBC shows. But I haven’t watched it in a long time so I only remember the main characters
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Omg I looooovvveeeeee Merlin. I watched it again recently as well! That’s so true actually... lots of the characters never come back when they really could
PaulKirkland
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've heard of it, never watched it though. Colin Morgan has been in a few other things I've seen, including Legend and Humans. But Merlin isn't something I'd usually be interested in, hence I've never seen it.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 4 weeks ago
It's just finished one complete rerun on Freeview, and is starting a second one.

Seems to be standard methodology used in a lot of series: Never seen before, and never to be seen again. Perhaps it makes the writers job easier, not having to flesh out characters, nor having to find them something interesting to be doing to hold the viewers' attention.

Thing that always amused me about TV series of medieval and dark age times is how clean everyone is.

Personally, I'm more a fan of "Robin of Sherwood".
Bvbfan
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
It's just finished one complete rerun on Freeview, and is starting a second one.

Seems to be standard methodology used in a lot of series: Never seen before, and never to be seen again. Perhaps it makes the writers job easier, not having to flesh out characters, nor having to find them something interesting to be doing to hold the viewers' attention.

Thing that always amused me about TV series of medieval and dark age times is how clean everyone is.

Yeah probably just makes the writers job easier tbh
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I loved watching merlin, haven’t seen any of it recently though
Bvbfan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
Omg I looooovvveeeeee Merlin. I watched it again recently as well! That’s so true actually... lots of the characters never come back when they really could
Yeah its probably just down to making the writers lives easier. But yeah its such a good show, the writing in it is actually brilliant. Just finished series 4 and the final episode is probably my favourite episode from any series. Morgana and aggravaine take camelot easily, but when arthur lifts the sword out of the stone in front of all of his knights to show that he is the true king is just amazing, and then they all rally behind him and charge on morgana.... watched it yesterday and still love it just as much as when i was 10. The ONLY thing that i think holds it back is it is a PG show. and as a result the fight scenes can feel a bit off because they never show any gore. I think if it was a bit more like game of thrones in that regard it would have had a way bigger audience. still awesome though
Shadbury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bruhhh I loved Merlin I was like 8 or something though; rewatched it over quarantine before A levels pretty sick show 👌🏼
Iqra Haq
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
omg same i loved it i watched it just last year for the first time it was amazing
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bvbfan)
Yeah its probably just down to making the writers lives easier. But yeah its such a good show, the writing in it is actually brilliant. Just finished series 4 and the final episode is probably my favourite episode from any series. Morgana and aggravaine take camelot easily, but when arthur lifts the sword out of the stone in front of all of his knights to show that he is the true king is just amazing, and then they all rally behind him and charge on morgana.... watched it yesterday and still love it just as much as when i was 10. The ONLY thing that i think holds it back is it is a PG show. and as a result the fight scenes can feel a bit off because they never show any gore. I think if it was a bit more like game of thrones in that regard it would have had a way bigger audience. still awesome though
I think part of why it’s so well written is that they wrote the entire 5 series before starting the filming.

Aww yesss that episode was so great. I think my favourite has to be the one with Lady Catrina :rofl: or any of the ones with Merlin turning into the old man.

What I didn’t like about the show though was the way they wrote Gwen in. It’s a big part of Arthur’s character that he marries a servant obviously but the way they make Gwen makes her seem as if she just wants to be queen imo. Although Bradley James and Angel Coulby are still together in real life and have been since Merlin was being filmed!

I agree with how PG it is as well. I think it would have taken it to the next level if they hadn’t.

I love it more than when I was younger tbh just because at the time I didn’t really understand the jokes as much as I do now :lol: I think it’s probably my favourite show of all time. It’s something that I could watch 100 times and I still wouldn’t be tired of it
Bvbfan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
I think part of why it’s so well written is that they wrote the entire 5 series before starting the filming.

Aww yesss that episode was so great. I think my favourite has to be the one with Lady Catrina :rofl: or any of the ones with Merlin turning into the old man.

What I didn’t like about the show though was the way they wrote Gwen in. It’s a big part of Arthur’s character that he marries a servant obviously but the way they make Gwen makes her seem as if she just wants to be queen imo. Although Bradley James and Angel Coulby are still together in real life and have been since Merlin was being filmed!

I agree with how PG it is as well. I think it would have taken it to the next level if they hadn’t.

I love it more than when I was younger tbh just because at the time I didn’t really understand the jokes as much as I do now :lol: I think it’s probably my favourite show of all time. It’s something that I could watch 100 times and I still wouldn’t be tired of it
Yeah I agree about gwen, she literally says at one point that all she has ever wanted is to be arthurs queen. didnt really like that part. My favourite character in the show was sir lancelot, it got really interesting when he was involved but its such a shame he died straight after becoming a knight, like he was only in 5 episodes. I think with how his story was built up it would have been only fair if he lived until the final episode to fight alongside arthur.
Alesha1991
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, I really liked Merlin. I've not seen any episodes recently though, so can't remember that much apart from the main characters. I also liked the Robin Hood series which was on around the same time [the version with Keith Allen as the sheriff]
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)

I loved Robin of Sherwood too.

Also Marian and her merry men ....
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yess! I absolutely loved watching this, I would watch Merlin with my dad in the evening... brings back memories fro my childhood
Anonymusy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah I watched every single episode every week when it aired on bbc1 all those years ago and I recently finished binge watching the whole thing on bbc iplayer. I hate the ending, they should have let Arthur live and done a couple more series with magic being legalised.
Moonlight rain
Report 4 weeks ago
I watched it on tv like a month ago
V good
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes - I watched it when it first aired. I remember liking it, but it was many years ago. Came on right before or right after Strictly?
Bagarigak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was just watching it today!! The episode with Freya.

Technically speaking, I watched it years ago but I am watching it all over again haha
OxMus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, I watched it when it was broadcast years ago.

I remember that we had to watch it live on the computer because our TV wires had been eaten by squirrels.

I found the ending really odd — the way it transitions to a modern day shot of Merlin walking along the side of a road...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (63)
15.04%
I'm not sure (14)
3.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (141)
33.65%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.43%
I'm not a current university student (195)
46.54%

Watched Threads