faizanarshad360
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I'm in year 11 and I'm getting close to choosing my A-Level options but I need some help.

I aspire to study Computer Science at uni. A few years back I wanted to be a doctor, and I still don't see it as a boring profession, I love learning. Except, I find anatomy and the human body so boring.

So, I know I definitely want to do Maths, Further Maths, and Physics. But at my school, you must choose 4 A-Levels if you are taking Further Maths, and if you want to drop one at the end of year 12, it must be further maths, so I wont be dropping this 4th option.

Personally, I want to do computer science. As I said, I find it really interesting and I will 100% enjoy the A-level. However, my Dad wants me to take chemistry, to leave the medicine route open. I am not totally against this but personally I am finding GCSE chemistry quite mediocre and boring, so idk. I am also open to doing biology. I quite enjoy the GCSE but I heard the A-level us just memorisation so I'm not quite sure about it.

FYI: Grades are not a problem. I am a high achieving student who goes to a grammar school. I most likely will be eligible for all 3 A-levels

What do you suggest I take? Which is the better A-level? Is computer science seen as a "soft" A-level?

Thank you so much to anyone who replies! If you don't, it's OK, have a nice day and thanks for reading :-)
August00
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

A Levels are different from GCSE, in terms of how much more detailed the content is. How you apply your knowledge etc. I would suggest doing some work experience in those areas of profession you’re interested in where possible. It’ll probably be abit more difficult to do so with the current situation. Either way for Medicine or Computer Science any science you choose is beneficial (Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics).

Is there no taster day for sixth form or college to see how doing A Levels will be like?

Biology is supposed to be the “easier” science. I took it and it’s a lot of work but very interesting. I’m not sure if computer science is a soft A Level tbh.

What do you want these A Levels open doors to? A specific course? A degree?

Im hoping I’ve at least helped somehow
H4ttie03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to do comp sci at uni then those a level options are more than great so dw!
faizanarshad360
Rep:
?
(Original post by August00)
Hi,

A Levels are different from GCSE, in terms of how much more detailed the content is. How you apply your knowledge etc. I would suggest doing some work experience in those areas of profession you’re interested in where possible. It’ll probably be abit more difficult to do so with the current situation. Either way for Medicine or Computer Science any science you choose is beneficial (Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics).

Is there no taster day for sixth form or college to see how doing A Levels will be like?

Biology is supposed to be the “easier” science. I took it and it’s a lot of work but very interesting. I’m not sure if computer science is a soft A Level tbh.

What do you want these A Levels open doors to? A specific course? A degree?

Im hoping I’ve at least helped somehow
I am stay at my secondary school for sixth form and I don't think there is a taster day.

Thanks for the advice anyway ☺️
faizanarshad360
Rep:
?
(Original post by H4ttie03)
If you want to do comp sci at uni then those a level options are more than great so dw!
Thanks good to know. Would you suggest I take computer science, chemistry or biology as my fourth option?
H4ttie03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by faizanarshad360)
Thanks good to know. Would you suggest I take computer science, chemistry or biology as my fourth option?
I mean since you dont like chem I wouldnt take it- unless you do actually want to do medicine etc then do. Honestly if comp sci is your fave and that's what you want to do at uni I would take that but it's all up to what you want to do
faizanarshad360
Rep:
?
(Original post by H4ttie03)
I mean since you dont like chem I wouldnt take it- unless you do actually want to do medicine etc then do. Honestly if comp sci is your fave and that's what you want to do at uni I would take that but it's all up to what you want to do
OK. Thank you so much for your advice.
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
just take computer science because why not?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.29%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.71%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed