which uni ranking is most reliable? which of these would you pick?

Watch
comeasuare
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
good morning guys,

I'm trying to choose some unis for next yr but all the rankings are confusing and pretty contradictory (edinburgh is 3rd in the uk according to qs but 20th-30th according to cug for my subject?) I was wondering which rankings are seen as most reliable and if there are any factors that are most important (employability and research quality but not necessarily quantity stand out to me over student satisfaction for example). I've narrowed down my choices a little (but not really lol) so hoped for some insight on how they were perceived by employers: cambridge, edinburgh, st andrews, glasgow, york, lancaster, manchester, birimingham, leeds, sheffield, bristol - I'm looking to study english literature/english language

thanks 😀
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Rankings are bunkum.

They use criteria that have absolutely nothing to do with an undergraduate degree, and tell you nothing about whether or not you will enjoy that course or being at that Uni.

Read this Student Room article - especially the bit about making sure you read the course descriptions at each Uni in detail, and that you pick a range of grade requirements : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
comeasuare
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Rankings are bunkum.

They use criteria that have absolutely nothing to do with an undergraduate degree, and tell you nothing about whether or not you will enjoy that course or being at that Uni.

Read this Student Room article - especially the bit about making sure you read the course descriptions at each Uni in detail, and that you pick a range of grade requirements : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
okay thanks 😀 I have already got my a levels (a*a*a*) so with this in mind where would be good in terms of being academic, reputable and employable?
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 4 weeks ago
None of them. Focus on the individual metrics. Further information can be found on whatdotheyknow.com and sites like Discovering Uni and whichuni.

Every metric has its limitations, and different people prioritise different metrics.
comeasuare
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
None of them. Focus on the individual metrics. Further information can be found on whatdotheyknow.com and sites like Discovering Uni and whichuni.

Every metric has its limitations, and different people prioritise different metrics.
I'll have a look into those, thanks 😀 seeing as my main concern is employability, should I be looking at % in employment and roles and earnings and prioritise those?
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by comeasuare)
I'll have a look into those, thanks 😀 seeing as my main concern is employability, should I be looking at % in employment and roles and earnings and prioritise those?
Yes, but only as long as you understand the drawbacks of that data, and that employability is ultimately determined by the student - the university can only ever nudge or support you in your own personal efforts in getting a job.

Keep in mind that there are several metrics on employability. You have the old 6-month DLHE data, the new 15-month Graduate Outcomes data, and the LEO salary data (which is summarised nicely here: https://public.tableau.com/profile/d...EO2020a/Sheet1).
comeasuare
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
Yes, but only as long as you understand the drawbacks of that data, and that employability is ultimately determined by the student - the university can only ever nudge or support you in your own personal efforts in getting a job.

Keep in mind that there are several metrics on employability. You have the old 6-month DLHE data, the new 15-month Graduate Outcomes data, and the LEO salary data (which is summarised nicely here: https://public.tableau.com/profile/d...EO2020a/Sheet1).
yes - I'm aware its mainly down to me, thanks for the link! 😀
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look at the detailed course descriptions - this is what you would be studying, not 'metrics' or 'rankings, or some other random person's opinion. Each Uni will be different - and it depends on your interests which course is best for you.

Choosing isnt easy - but there really are no shortcuts or 'expressway' to doing this.
You have to look at course units - what is compulsory, what optional units are there, and which would you choose.
What extras are available - units in other subject areas, study abroad, placements etc etc.

Here, as just one example, is the course description for English at Bristol : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...sh/ba-english/
And the unit catalogue : https://www.bris.ac.uk/unit-programm...Code=1ENGL001U
comeasuare
Rep:
?
Look at the detailed course descriptions - this is what you would be studying, not 'metrics' or 'rankings, or some other random person's opinion. Each Uni will be different - and it depends on your interests which course is best for you.

Choosing isnt easy - but there really are no shortcuts or 'expressway' to doing this.
You have to look at course units - what is compulsory, what optional units are there, and which would you choose.
What extras are available - units in other subject areas, study abroad, placements etc etc.

Here, as just one example, is the course description for English at Bristol : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...sh/ba-english/
And the unit catalogue : https://www.bris.ac.uk/unit-programm...Code=1ENGL001U
okay thanks 😀 I do quite like the looks of bristol and I held an offer there last yr so hopefully I could get one this time round too (achieved a*a*a*)
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
okay thanks 😀 I do quite like the looks of bristol and I held an offer there last yr so hopefully I could get one this time round too (achieved a*a*a*)
Good luck!
comeasuare
Rep:
?
Good luck!
thank you!! 😀
J.swift
Badges: 10
Report 4 weeks ago
I also did my a levels (achieved A*AA) but I'm applying again because i didn't like the uni I had firmed anymore. Anyways, I look at both the complete university guide and the guardian and see which unis are kind of consistent in their rankings on both. I don't look at the world rankings because i don't think I'm going to work outside the uk so its irrelevant to me. I'm hoping to get into LSE or UCL.
comeasuare
Rep:
?
(Original post by J.swift)
I also did my a levels (achieved A*AA) but I'm applying again because i didn't like the uni I had firmed anymore. Anyways, I look at both the complete university guide and the guardian and see which unis are kind of consistent in their rankings on both. I don't look at the world rankings because i don't think I'm going to work outside the uk so its irrelevant to me. I'm hoping to get into LSE or UCL.
okay thanks, good point about work - I'm not thinking I'm going to work outside uk either so I suppose national is more important! fab grades, best of luck 😀
J.swift
Badges: 10
Report 4 weeks ago
okay thanks, good point about work - I'm not thinking I'm going to work outside uk either so I suppose national is more important! fab grades, best of luck 😀
thank you! Good luck as well
comeasuare
Rep:
?
(Original post by J.swift)
thank you! Good luck as well
thank you 😀
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thank you 😀
There isnt 1 ranking that can be 100% relied upon but CUG is the one most used by careers advisers. However as I and several others have tried to tell you rankings are absolutely meaningless. In practice the difference in all the leading universities is minute and the difference between say 10th and 20th means nothing. The international rankings have always shown the traditional universities in large cities as the best but the UK ones show a different story. Universities such as Durham, York, Leeds, Manchester and Lancaster are pretty much of similar standing. Ignore rankings and things like Russell Group as they mean nothing. Dont get fooled by them. Look into courses and surroundings. That is what counts.
comeasuare
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
There isnt 1 ranking that can be 100% relied upon but CUG is the one most used by careers advisers. However as I and several others have tried to tell you rankings are absolutely meaningless. In practice the difference in all the leading universities is minute and the difference between say 10th and 20th means nothing. The international rankings have always shown the traditional universities in large cities as the best but the UK ones show a different story. Universities such as Durham, York, Leeds, Manchester and Lancaster are pretty much of similar standing. Ignore rankings and things like Russell Group as they mean nothing. Dont get fooled by them. Look into courses and surroundings. That is what counts.
okay, atm I think I'm going to apply to cambridge, edinburgh, york, lancaster and st andrews, thanks for your help 😀
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (46)
15.97%
I'm not sure (8)
2.78%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.72%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.39%
I'm not a current university student (130)
45.14%

Watched Threads