The Student Room Group

going to a uni I don't like because of ranking

good morning guys,

I'm looking at unis to apply to and some keep coming up for my subject (english) - durham, newcastle, exeter, nottingham, oxford - and I'm tempted to apply to one of them because apparently they rank well in terms of quality and employability but I just don't really like any of them, would it be better to apply to other good unis (e.g. bristol, st andrews, glasgow) even though some people say they aren't ranked as well?

thanks 😀

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah. Ranking is so subjective, and it doesn’t even really mean much. You should go for the one that’s best for you, as that is where YOU will do best at.

Look at the size of the area, the clubs and activities, and the social scene - whatever interests you!
Reply 2
Original post by Down_worlder
Yeah. Ranking is so subjective, and it doesn’t even really mean much. You should go for the one that’s best for you, as that is where YOU will do best at.

Look at the size of the area, the clubs and activities, and the social scene - whatever interests you!

thanks 😀 can you recommend anywhere that fits for me? prefer campus uni but would be willing to live in a small/medium city, I'm pretty introverted but do like arts and theatre and I like most things about english from all periods so I think I'll find something to love about any course tbh
Exeter is smaller than Bristol or Glasgow !
Reply 4
Original post by Mkb24764
Exeter is smaller than Bristol or Glasgow !

true, just the campus is a bit ugly lol apparently exeter and bristol both have a little under 19000 undergrads though so similar other than campus/city
which would you say is better regarded, if either?
Durham and Exeter are smallish cities. Possibly Lancaster as well. I really dont know anything about the arts side. Exeter and Lancaster are campus universities and Durham is a college university that basically has 2 campuses. The older one would be where English takes place. You would live in a college and walk in.
As above, league table rankings are pretty meaningless - truly nobody cares or thinks about them after leaving school really. Focus on picking a uni where you like the uni, location, and course. You're going to be spending 3 years there so you want to make sure it's somewhere you can be happy living there!

All of the "other" universities you are considering are very well regarded in their own right, and I don't think employability prospects are going to be much different between any of them. Graduate employability really is more about you and what you have done with your time during the degree, i.e. getting relevant work experience and developing useful transferable skills, than what uni you studied at.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by comeasuare
true, just the campus is a bit ugly lol apparently exeter and bristol both have a little under 19000 undergrads though so similar other than campus/city
which would you say is better regarded, if either?

I dont know where you have heard Exeter is an ugly campus. It is one of the most beautiful very green.
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
Durham and Exeter are smallish cities. Possibly Lancaster as well. I really dont know anything about the arts side. Exeter and Lancaster are campus universities and Durham is a college university that basically has 2 campuses. The older one would be where English takes place. You would live in a college and walk in.

okay thanks 😀 durham and exeter both felt a bit snobby but I would consider them if there was something super good about them (employability or opportunities or something), tbh a college sounds lovely (dont they have them at york and lancaster too? problem is they suit me a bit better but everyone tells me how good durham and exeter are and so I should apply there lol)
okay thanks 😀 durham and exeter both felt a bit snobby but I would consider them if there was something super good about them (employability or opportunities or something), tbh a college sounds lovely (dont they have them at york and lancaster too? problem is they suit me a bit better but everyone tells me how good durham and exeter are and so I should apply there lol)

You shouldnt apply anywhere just because of reputation. There is little to choose between all these universities. I havent seen York but are told it is really nice and it is a smallish city. Places like Bristol and Glasgow are several times bigger. Bristol university is pretty much in the city and some of its accommodation is a couple of miles away. It isnt a typical campus university like Exeter or Lancaster.
good morning guys,

I'm looking at unis to apply to and some keep coming up for my subject (english) - durham, newcastle, exeter, nottingham, oxford - and I'm tempted to apply to one of them because apparently they rank well in terms of quality and employability but I just don't really like any of them, would it be better to apply to other good unis (e.g. bristol, st andrews, glasgow) even though some people say they aren't ranked as well?

thanks 😀

According to "the complete university guide", st andrews is 4th best for English, overtaking the subjects you mentioned, except durham and oxford.
Here's the link: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/english
Manchester and York seem to be pretty high too. Hope this helps :biggrin:
I would always say don't focus on league tables apply to universities in places where you would feel comfortable living.
Reply 12
Original post by swanseajack1
You shouldnt apply anywhere just because of reputation. There is little to choose between all these universities. I havent seen York but are told it is really nice and it is a smallish city. Places like Bristol and Glasgow are several times bigger. Bristol university is pretty much in the city and some of its accommodation is a couple of miles away. It isnt a typical campus university like Exeter or Lancaster.

it's just the massive uncertainty of covid means I want to go somewhere well regarded by employers so I have at least a small chance of getting a decent job when I graduate, thanks for your advice 😀
Reply 13
Original post by XKangaotiCX
According to "the complete university guide", st andrews is 4th best for English, overtaking the subjects you mentioned, except durham and oxford.
Here's the link: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/english
Manchester and York seem to be pretty high too. Hope this helps :biggrin:

brilliant thank you! 😀
Reply 14
Original post by Phideaux
I would always say don't focus on league tables apply to universities in places where you would feel comfortable living.

I know it's just that covid+"useless" degree surely means I should try to go to the best possible place so I have a chance of getting a job, I could live 3yrs in a place I dont really like if I would do better out of it after graduating, I'd also like somewhere where getting into postgraduate at oxbridge would be more likely (e.g. lancaster is good but not rg so would this be a problem?)
It is far more important how you perform on your degree than what university awards the degree.
Reply 16
Original post by Phideaux
It is far more important how you perform on your degree than what university awards the degree.

okay, all the unis I mentioned seem to have a high proportion getting 2.1 or higher so assuming I could get that at any of them, which would be "best"? I saw a list of unis employers target a while ago but I dont think this was on a subject by subject basis so it doesnt help me all that much lol
Cannot emphasise enough that you make your choices based on the course! Look at what you're able to study, what's compulsory, assessment style/structure. That's going to make a bigger difference for you than what the campus is like.
Reply 18
Original post by Paralove
Cannot emphasise enough that you make your choices based on the course! Look at what you're able to study, what's compulsory, assessment style/structure. That's going to make a bigger difference for you than what the campus is like.

okay thanks 😀 I dont have a strong preference on modules (I do really like modernism and postmodernism, feminism, romanticism and classics) or coursework/exams hmm I feel I like enough different forms and eras of literature that I'd be fine wherever?
@Doones used to post a chart showing what employers actually regard as important - and 'university attended' really didn't feature highly on it.
(Unless what you want to do with your English degree is go into the legal profession, which, I believe, is rather more interested in the label on the tin than its contents).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending