comeasuare
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
good morning guys,

I'm thinking of applying to cambridge for english but I'm not sure if it's worth the likely possibility of being rejected. I applied last year, predicted a*a*a*, got 53/60 on the elat and was pooled after interview and my feedback was basically rough gcses and not enough discussion of structure at interview. I'm thinking of applying again, a*a*a* achieved, but obviously I can't do anything about my gcses (99998666443 at state grammar yikes) so is it worth the bother? I love the course and place and the dos at the college I want to apply to said my gcses will be considered irrelevant - if I do well on the elat again and the interview is good, do I stand a chance?

thanks 😀
Down_worlder
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yess of course! Omg those A levels are amazing : 0
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Having A-Levels in hand will be stronger than predicted grades. The fact you were pooled is positive - if you're happy to take a gap year, and you're likely to get all the other uni choices give you a place, there isn't much to lose in trying! Plenty of people reapply successfully. Just make sure you're applying to a different college this time round!
comeasuare
Rep:
?
(Original post by Down_worlder)
Yess of course! Omg those A levels are amazing : 0
thank you 😀
comeasuare
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
Having A-Levels in hand will be stronger than predicted grades. The fact you were pooled is positive - if you're happy to take a gap year, and you're likely to get all the other uni choices give you a place, there isn't much to lose in trying! Plenty of people reapply successfully. Just make sure you're applying to a different college this time round!
okay, thanks 😀 do you think it will be more competitive this yr? I havent picked other unis yet, I'm really struggling, but I had seen the advice for a different college (murray edwards last time, clare this time!) do you have advice for picking other unis? I'm looking for somewhere either campus or small to medium city, good employability
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by comeasuare)
okay, thanks 😀 do you think it will be more competitive this yr? I havent picked other unis yet, I'm really struggling, but I had seen the advice for a different college (murray edwards last time, clare this time!) do you have advice for picking other unis? I'm looking for somewhere either campus or small to medium city, good employability
Eh I wouldn't worry about 'employability' - if you go to a good uni and get a good degree you'll be fine. Make use of the careers services!

In terms of more competitive - I think this will vary by course and college. Obviously there's been increases this year but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be any different for next year (the increase in this year's intake is to try to avoid lots of deferrals affecting next year). Plus, applications for Cambridge have been increasing every year overall so it's the same situation every year 💁🏻*♀️

Bristol and Bath are good shouts (I'm from near both so !). Warwick perhaps, as that's campus-based. But some northern cities would probably surprise you too. Don't knock it til you've done some proper research and don't worry about places being 'posh' - any decent uni will have their fair share and it's not just Oxbridge.
comeasuare
Rep:
?
Eh I wouldn't worry about 'employability' - if you go to a good uni and get a good degree you'll be fine. Make use of the careers services!

In terms of more competitive - I think this will vary by course and college. Obviously there's been increases this year but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be any different for next year (the increase in this year's intake is to try to avoid lots of deferrals affecting next year). Plus, applications for Cambridge have been increasing every year overall so it's the same situation every year 💁🏻*♀️

Bristol and Bath are good shouts (I'm from near both so !). Warwick perhaps, as that's campus-based. But some northern cities would probably surprise you too. Don't knock it til you've done some proper research and don't worry about places being 'posh' - any decent uni will have their fair share and it's not just Oxbridge.
okay, that's so helpful thank you, I was actually already seriously considering bristol! 😀 do you think going to a 4yr course uni (edinburgh, st andrews) would be a problem? I'd graduate when I'm 23 and worry if that would put me way behind everyone else as I'd be older with only one degree and others could have had 2yrs job experience by then (particularly because I want to do postgraduate ideally too)
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by comeasuare)
okay, that's so helpful thank you, I was actually already seriously considering bristol! 😀 do you think going to a 4yr course uni (edinburgh, st andrews) would be a problem? I'd graduate when I'm 23 and worry if that would put me way behind everyone else as I'd be older with only one degree and others could have had 2yrs job experience by then (particularly because I want to do postgraduate ideally too)
Nah go for it. I've not been to Scotland but a friend is just starting a PhD at Edinburgh and it looks gorgeous.

Honestly, the whole 'being old/er' thing makes 0 sense at all. You're never behind, and there isn't particular ages at which you should do things. I'd love to do a master's but can't afford to, so I'm going to continue not doing that til I can/am willing to wipe out my savings (not ideal when my boyfriend and I are looking to buy a house in future). I'm 24 now having graduated two years ago - I did a 4 year course because of language and year abroad. Doesn't make a jot of difference.

Do whatever works for you and you enjoy and forget about what other people do. I'm very happy in a job I really love vs friends who are doing flashier higher paid ones than me but hate it. I know what I'd rather have 💁🏻*♀️
comeasuare
Rep:
?
Nah go for it. I've not been to Scotland but a friend is just starting a PhD at Edinburgh and it looks gorgeous.

Honestly, the whole 'being old/er' thing makes 0 sense at all. You're never behind, and there isn't particular ages at which you should do things. I'd love to do a master's but can't afford to, so I'm going to continue not doing that til I can/am willing to wipe out my savings (not ideal when my boyfriend and I are looking to buy a house in future). I'm 24 now having graduated two years ago - I did a 4 year course because of language and year abroad. Doesn't make a jot of difference.

Do whatever works for you and you enjoy and forget about what other people do. I'm very happy in a job I really love vs friends who are doing flashier higher paid ones than me but hate it. I know what I'd rather have 💁🏻*♀️
okay thanks 😀 edinburgh does look beautiful but I also really like how glasgow does advanced entry to second yr if you have a*aa- might this be worth looking into? wonder if it would look good for employers or if they wouldnt care lol
I'm glad you have a job you like and best of luck doing a masters one day 😀
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (128)
14.68%
I'm not sure (40)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (263)
30.16%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.52%
I'm not a current university student (419)
48.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed