Yi-Tong
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm going to study MSc Cell Biology this year, and I plan to pursue a PhD degree after I graduate. Should I apply for it during study or after I get the master's degree?
harper_
Badges: 10
Report 1 month ago
If you want to start the PhD at the start of the next academic year, you probably need to apply during the study of your MSc degree.
ArabellaMarie8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
During study if you want to study it straight after your masters. I haven't applied for PhD but I did an MA and those who wanted to do a PhD started talking about it with lecturers/writing proposals etc in February
Yi-Tong
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArabellaMarie8)
During study if you want to study it straight after your masters. I haven't applied for PhD but I did an MA and those who wanted to do a PhD started talking about it with lecturers/writing proposals etc in February
Thank you for sharing!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Probably most straightforward to apply for it during your masters, as you can also speak to your personal tutor/thesis supervisor/other academics associated with the course for advice on PhD applications.
Yi-Tong
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Probably most straightforward to apply for it during your masters, as you can also speak to your personal tutor/thesis supervisor/other academics associated with the course for advice on PhD applications.
Thank you!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yi-Tong)
I'm going to study MSc Cell Biology this year, and I plan to pursue a PhD degree after I graduate. Should I apply for it during study or after I get the master's degree?
You should consider taking a year out between your Masters and your PhD start. If you run the two directly sequentially, then you have to apply with only one term of evidence. Your research proposal is likely to be weaker, you will have fewer grades to reflect performance and your references will be weaker, because your academic staff only know a third as much about you.

If you apply once you have graduated, then you have a final grade, specific grades, your Supervisor can give a reference that describes your academic progress and specifically your research through your dissertation. Your application will inevitably be stronger, which also makes you mush more competitive for getting funding. You can also do something useful or that pays during the intervening year.
Yi-Tong
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
You should consider taking a year out between your Masters and your PhD start. If you run the two directly sequentially, then you have to apply with only one term of evidence. Your research proposal is likely to be weaker, you will have fewer grades to reflect performance and your references will be weaker, because your academic staff only know a third as much about you.

If you apply once you have graduated, then you have a final grade, specific grades, your Supervisor can give a reference that describes your academic progress and specifically your research through your dissertation. Your application will inevitably be stronger, which also makes you mush more competitive for getting funding. You can also do something useful or that pays during the intervening year.
Thank you for your advice!
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yi-Tong)
I'd definitely recommend looking whilst you are doing your masters. It makes interviews more difficult when you can't discuss stuff like your project but you can get application support from your university much easier.

I personally waited until after and found applying holding a degree made things a lot easier for me personally-they knew my degree grade, I could talk more in depth about my projects and course and had two very recent references.

If you have plenty of lab experience you could talk about right now in an application/interview, I would consider applying now. If you are using your masters to build experience (like I did), might be worth waiting until after (but definitely keep your eye out for projects now, contact supervisors and ask questions, get an idea of what they are looking for).
Yi-Tong
Rep:
?
(Original post by QuentinM)
I'd definitely recommend looking whilst you are doing your masters. It makes interviews more difficult when you can't discuss stuff like your project but you can get application support from your university much easier.

I personally waited until after and found applying holding a degree made things a lot easier for me personally-they knew my degree grade, I could talk more in depth about my projects and course and had two very recent references.

If you have plenty of lab experience you could talk about right now in an application/interview, I would consider applying now. If you are using your masters to build experience (like I did), might be worth waiting until after (but definitely keep your eye out for projects now, contact supervisors and ask questions, get an idea of what they are looking for).
Thanks a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.31%
I'm not sure (59)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (371)
29.33%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (617)
48.77%

Watched Threads