Watch
tande33
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
Question: https://isaacphysics.org/questions/p...8-6bcea2b383af

What is the issue: Well I think I have done the integration right but I am stuck on simplifying the final answer (as this is what the website is suggesting)
I came out with the answer :

1/(b-a) * ln |(a+b)/a| + 1/(a-b) * ln (2)

I have tried combining logs but the question suggests it is not in the right form. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance

I am happy to post working to get to that answer if necessary, I haven't done it yet as its quite long!
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tande33)
Hi,
Question: https://isaacphysics.org/questions/p...8-6bcea2b383af

What is the issue: Well I think I have done the integration right but I am stuck on simplifying the final answer (as this is what the website is suggesting)
I came out with the answer :

1/(b-a) * ln |(a+b)/a| + 1/(a-b) * ln (2)

I have tried combining logs but the question suggests it is not in the right form. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance

I am happy to post working to get to that answer if necessary, I haven't done it yet as its quite long!
Agree with your answer. So, assuming we didn't both make the same mistake, you could combine the ln(2), into the first part to get:

\displaystyle\frac{1}{b-a}\ln\left| \frac{a+b}{2a}\right|

Can't think of anything else useful you could do to it.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 4 weeks ago
tande33
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Agree with your answer. So, assuming we didn't both make the same mistake, you could combine the ln(2), into the first part to get:

\displaystyle\frac{1}{b-a}\ln\left| \frac{a+b}{2a}\right|

Can't think of anything else useful you could do to it.
Thanks, that worked, not sure why I didn't try that, Bit random, but I was just wondering if the Weierstrass substitutions are part of a level maths (or further maths), I came across them recently and was curious.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tande33)
Thanks, that worked, not sure why I didn't try that, Bit random, but I was just wondering if the Weierstrass substitutions are part of a level maths (or further maths), I came across them recently and was curious.
Certainly used to be, but I can't say for sure. Others on here, familiar with the syllabus, should be able to confirm/deny. Otherswise checking your board's syllabus online would be the way to go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads